1980 Suzuki GS 750E Suspension Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Suzuki GS 750E Suspension Suggestions

I have a beautiful 1980 square headlight GS750 that I bought a couple of years ago. It runs great, but the suspension front and rear is really crummy. I am 190# and even a speed bump at 35 mph is seems like an adventure. It has what appears to be a newer spiffy looking blue colored set of SW rear shocks. They are set on the lowest pre-load. I have an adjuster wrench coming, so I will be trying to adjust it up maybe to the middle. Who knows whether the fork oil was EVER changed. My Manual for 1978 GS750 says 8.01 OZ(us measure) per leg. Anyone know whether that amount holds tru for a 1980 model?. I will be putting new oil in--any suggestions. Thanks David, Columbus, OH

I suggest some Progressive Suspension springs. New seals are always a good idea too. You can do the 8 oz thing or an easier method to fill the forks is to compress them all the way, remove the springs, and then fill the forks until you are about 6 inches from the top (don't forget to pump the forks a few times to bleed all the air out). 15W oil is popular.

Good luck and have fun.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Clean the Damper Rod

While getting my '81 E road ready after a nine year nap I found the front end to be pogo-ing really bad. What I found was that over 28 years solids built up enough in the forks that the damper rod orifices were plugged. I don't think they could have been cleaned without removal.

While I was at it I installed a set of Progressive springs, though I'm not as "sold" on them as others here are. I still run the OEM springs in my T model forks.

Watch out for the oil quantity. Even though the 80 and 81 forks on the E models are both leading-axle units, IIRC they are different and also different than the L's. So seek a correct year and model spec for volume and then fine tune it to the level specified.
      sigpic
      1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
      2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

You can find a manual for it on BikeCliff's website:

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. DHellard,

You'll find a service manual on my website. There's also a truck load of information in your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'd say fork springs are a must -- you outweigh the average Japanese test rider by 60 pounds, and the stockers have been sagging for 29 years. It's also well worth thoroughly cleaning the dead bugs and goo out of the forks while you're at it, perhaps even installing new fork seals.

Progressives or Sonic fork springs should fix ya right up.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have an 80 750E, When it was a year old I replaced the stock front with a front (adjustable) from a gs1100E, replaced the rear shocks with 79 1000 (adjustable) used my stock rear springs. This bike handled very good after that. The front will need triple tree and fork tubes from the 1100, everything else is the same.

Comment

Rear shock suggestions.

May I humbly suggest a set of Progressive 12 series shocks with standard duty springs. I'm 220 lbs and I've been running these on my GS850 for a couple years with great results.

Comment

I would go with progressive fork spring in front and the progressive model 12 shocks in the rear. Made a world of difference on my bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X