110 tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

110 tire

Will a 110/80-19 tire fit on a '80 GS1000G front rim? I have been running 100/90-19s on it until now...

What's wrong with the 100?

I believe the stock tire is a 90, which means the 100 is already over-size.

The only good thing about going to a 100 is that it will reduce the usual speedometer error.

Look at the width of your rim. If it is a 1.85", stick with the 100. If it is a 2.15", the 110 will be OK.

Larger is not better in this case. Too wide a tire on a narrow rim will pinch the tire and give you a smaller contact patch.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the information Steve. Why I am looking at 110s: I have found that I don't have much confidence in my current Metzeler lasertecs when I get into gravel or dirt. Not that I do that often, but sometimes. So I have been looking at 80/20 and 90/10 dualsport tires, and it's either $300 for a set of Metzeler Tourance that come in the 100 front width, or I can save money on Shinkos that only have a 110 option.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Just throwin' some data on the fire.

The 100/90-19 Avon Venom-X on my 80 1000G runs the speedometer within 2 mph of the GPS at highway speed. Handling is just on the quick side of neutral.

If the tire is not pinched significantly, the 110 tire may have some trouble passing the fender mounting screws.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I have a 100/90-19 on my '81 1000G and have replaced the 85 MPH speedometer with a 140 MPH one. It is exactly 5 MPH fast at 70 MPH according to my GPS. I've been looking at the drive gear units to see if there is a difference (nothing conclusive yet), and if this doesn't pan out my next thought was an oversize tire. I'd have to crunch the numbers for diameter to see how a 110/90 would work.

Comment

Originally posted by erdmania View Post
            Why I am looking at 110s: I have found that I don't have much confidence in my current Metzeler lasertecs when I get into gravel or dirt. Not that I do that often, but sometimes. So I have been looking at 80/20 and 90/10 dualsport tires, and it's either $300 for a set of Metzeler Tourance that come in the 100 front width, or I can save money on Shinkos that only have a 110 option.
            I just came back to this thread and saw something that really makes me shake my head.

Why, please, WHY are you intentionally taking a 1000G "into gravel or dirt"?

Unless you have a gravel driveway that is a couple of miles long, I just don't get it.
            Especially if you are looking into dualsport tires to handle the (what I hope are) few moments of gravel or dirt.

I have taken my Wing on several miles of dirt and gravel roads in different parts of the country. Not always by choice, but I have managed to survive. You think anyone makes anything resembling a dualsport tire for a Wing? Right. Only the smoothest-riding, highest-mileage tires are available, and they do LOUSY in gravel and dirt. But my bike remained vertical.

My suggestion is to stick with the correct size, then adjust your riding style to keep it on the pavement as much as possible, and adjust your speed when necessary to hit the loose stuff.

(You think you would save enough on the Shinkos to pay the hospital bill for you and the parts bill for your bike? Keep it on the pavement.)

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Sorry for digging this one up. I made a new thread with a lot of speedometer and some wheel & tire data here.

I learned a lot about rim & tire widths and posted it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                I am by far a newb here. Not an expert at all on such matters but, knobbies aside, I don't see how a bigger tire will make a road bike behave like a dirt bike.

DP
                Looking at post #3, I get the impression it's not so much the larger tires b ecause they are larger, it's because the dualsport tires he is considering are only available in that size.

Originally posted by erdmania View Post
                ... So I have been looking at 80/20 and 90/10 dualsport tires, and it's either $300 for a set of Metzeler Tourance that come in the 100 front width, or I can save money on Shinkos that only have a 110 option.
                Just in case you are not aware of the terminology, the 80/20 and the 90/10 are ratios of pavement/dirt that you expect to ride on. The 90/10 would just look like a slightly more agressive street tire, the 80/20 would start opening up the grooves a bit, but still won't be confused with "knobbies".

Here is the Metzeler Tourance:

Here is the Shinko:

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X