Brake light switch adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light switch adjustment

A couple weeks ago, I was riding a GS1000G in Maine with my brother and nepher, also on GS's. At a rest stop my brothers told me that my brake lights were not functioning. I tested them at the time, and they both work. This bike has braided lines, and the brakes work really well for what they are. The issue is that in many or most normal stops, I do not pull the lever hard enough or push the pedal hard enough to move them enough to actuate the switches. Also, this bike, which has the same M/C as numerous other bikes I own, has the lever a bit farther out from the grip than I really prefer.

Is there an adjustment for this?
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

There should be two screws under the perch for the master. There will be two wires going into the switch if so. Loosen the two screws and try sliding the switch one way or the other to adjust it. They are usually gunked up so some contact cleaner may be in order.

Edit: Hope it's not too late because I should have warned you about taking the switch apart. There is a small contact and a spring that will go flying if you do take it apart. It helps to rotate the master around on the bar so you are less likely to lose them.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Sliding the switch housing toward the end of the handlebar will make the light come on sooner.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So, did it work out? You gotta be really careful with that adjustment. I made mistake one evenin of unscrewing too far and the spring popped out. About half an hour to find the spring, another half hour to get it all back together and adjusted properly..kinda tricky.

Comment

Working...
        X