Removing and installing fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing and installing fork seals

I took my old fork seals out, but they ripped pretty badly. There is a rubber part still left in the fork tube. I'm not sure if I got the whole seals out, since they tore, or if the seat where the seal goes is damaged.

Based on these pics, what do you guys think? Do I just clean out the rust and throw the new seals in there?

You haven't got those seals out yet - most of the seal is still in there. You should see the whole of the seat.

Try burning them out with a blowtorch (outside - it stinks) and gentle prying with a screwdriver (careful not to scratch the inside of the fork bottom).
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Is that metal ring coated in rubber part of the fork seal, or is it part of the fork? I can't tell whether it's supposed to come out (I already removed the washer, this was below it).

Comment

The seal has a rubber centre and a rubber coated metal ring on the outside. If you've got the new seals you'll see what I'm on about. All that old busted seal has to come out and sometimes thay can be a swine.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Any rubber you see there is fork seal. The fork lower leg is one large metal piece.

Comment

Just got them off. I was confused when I hit metal, thinking it was the fork, but when I realized that the fork seals have metal inside it gave me something to grip and I finally got them out with some pliers.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Nice when it works out. Make sure you put the new ones in the right way round and if you give the outside of each seal a smear of grease they'll pop in easily.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
              X