avon tires cracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

avon tires cracking

was wondering if Avon tires have a side wall cracking problem the Honda dealer here has said that they have had some problems in the past living in the mtn's it's a high UV area and wondering if it's ok to get a set any opinions? thanks

Originally posted by 2slow View Post
    was wondering if Avon tires have a side wall cracking problem the Honda dealer here has said that they have had some problems in the past living in the mtn's it's a high UV area and wondering if it's ok to get a set any opinions? thanks
    There was a panic for a while, but I think it has passed. The set I have that started with some minor surface cracking have not done much if anything worse than superficial spider web apperance. For performance coupled with durability they are my first choice.

Comment

I have used several sets of Avon tires and never saw cracking.
      I do not live on a mountain though.

If a tire is new or nearly new it should not crack under normal conditions.
      tires often crack when left outside in winter or when the tire is allowed to rest on the ground and deflate.

I spotted a tread grrove crack in an abused non-Avon of mine and got to look inside to see that the crack pattern was visible as a sort of melted line.

It would seem that cracks allow heat to concentrate in an area and that would lead to an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        I have used several sets of Avon tires and never saw cracking.
        I do not live on a mountain though.

If a tire is new or nearly new it should not crack under normal conditions.
        tires often crack when left outside in winter or when the tire is allowed to rest on the ground and deflate.

I spotted a tread grrove crack in an abused non-Avon of mine and got to look inside to see that the crack pattern was visible as a sort of melted line.

It would seem that cracks allow heat to concentrate in an area and that would lead to an accident.
        There were brand new tires doing this a while back and not from high altitude or sun; mine included which were parked in a garage at sea level.

Comment

Oh a bad production run I see.

You are decribing very fine surface cracks and not deep cracks inward to the belts then.

Too bad Apple doesn't make tires, then all you would need is a software update.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Oh a bad production run I see.

You are decribing very fine surface cracks and not deep cracks inward to the belts then.

Too bad Apple doesn't make tires, then all you would need is a software update.
            Some others reported deeper cracks than others but mine were very fine. Yea I guess it was a bad batch; I would not hesitate to buy them. I have an Avon Radial on my front since switching from bias plys.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

here are some pics ; mine were never this bad

Front tire does not show any cracking and its DOT stamp is 20th week of 08, much newer.

Sorry about blur, irish holiday, It does say 3706

The other side.
            Last edited by posplayr; 07-16-2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Its not the only tire Avon has had issues with...

My Road Riders are fairly new with low miles and so far are OK.

Over all It appears they got a hell-of-a Tyre !

Last edited by bonanzadave; 07-16-2010, 03:34 PM.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                Its not the only tire Avon has had issues with...

My Road Riders are fairly new with low miles and so far are OK.

Over all It appears they got a hell-of-a Tyre !

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/news/lat...classic-racing
                I'll bet the Road Riders would have been recalled if some OE was using them.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Some others reported deeper cracks than others but mine were very fine. Yea I guess it was a bad batch; I would not hesitate to buy them. I have an Avon Radial on my front since switching from bias plys.

here are some pics ; mine were never this bad

Cracking like this is outrageous it is a major safety issue!
                  Why was Avon allowed a pass on this. I bet they want to pretend that the surface rubber is just cosmetic?

Damage like this warrants replacement immediately! The way a bike tire flexes as compared to a car is....incomparable.

I would have gotten a replacement or wrapped em a round my mechanics head.

What a horror!

Comment

I bought a new set this early spring and the rear cracked a bit. It took a couple of months but the Canadian distributor is giving me a full refund. It works out great for me as I've done a full road trip and put on at least 7000 km. Great tires other than the crack.
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I got a set of roadriders put on my 750 yesterday. My bike really neded it done as the handling is so much better now with the old rubbers gone.

Ive used Avons in the passed, though on sportbikes, some with a 200 rear and fast riding all year round in every weather and I never had any problems and found them long lasting compared to other brands.

First time using r.riders though so I hope I dont see that type of cracking!

Comment

Working...
                      X