Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
    Plugs are simply not worth the risk.
    Only a incredibly cheap person would use one as a form of permanent repair..

Hopefully, one may be forgiven for a presumption that you have a strong awareness of the values found in theory, and a paucity of experiential knowledge acquired from practical applications.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
      Hopefully, one may be forgiven for a presumption that you have a strong awareness of the values found in theory, and a paucity of experiential knowledge acquired from practical applications.

You presume that plugs and tubes are a fix so keep on presuming.

Comment

Ran half a season (always went thru two a year) on a plugged goodyear slick on a cb1100 Honda.
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I wouldnt even consider riding on a plugged or patched tire.
          Why less'n the odds?
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I've used these with good results.

I had gotten my hands on a hand laid Dunlop race tire and picked up something in it right off the bat. I used one of the plug/patches and ran the hell out of the tire after that. I took it easy for a hundred miles or so and kept an eye on tire pressure. I got many more good miles out of that tire. I tried regular plugs and they would come out. Regular patches would come loose from the flexing of the tire. These stay put.

Comment

These Billy?

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have never had to use plugs on a bike, but I do carry a repair kit with me on rallies.
                AFA cars go, I used them twice. Once on my Geo Tracker. I got a flat in North Carolina while golfing at Myrtle Beach. That plug ran about 20k miles and never leaked. Once in my TransAm. The tire only had about 500 miles on it when I picked up a roofing nail. It also went about 20k miles, including multiple trips to the drag strip and many journeys on the other side of 100 mph. Just my own experience, YMMV.

Comment

Plugs are simply not worth the risk.
                  Only a incredibly cheap person would use one as a form of permanent repair..
                  You talk as though a flat tire is a death sentence. Hell, haven't you ever had a flat? The times I have experience tire failure, it was hardly noticeable until the speed got down to around 20-25 mph. You also have to know which brake to use depending on which tire goes down.
                  I've never had a plug come out of the tire. Maybe that's because I made sure to get it in properly. But even if one comes out the tire will simply loose it's pressure, not necessarily blow out.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

You presume that plugs and tubes are a fix so keep on presuming.

Umm, sorry but tubes are a permanent structure in EVERY road/trail bike I have owned from the rm125 to the kx500, ALL had tubes Oh and so did the XLV750 Dr500 etc registered bikes I have owned. Not once was it an issue and that XLV will keep up with any 550 etc road bike if you think it isn't the same. There is no assumption in my statement nor presuming its all from first hand experience, there is a reason they ARE legally used!

Comment

If I had a flat on a new tire I would not hesitate to tube it. Tubes are 10 bucks, I have a pair on hand just in case I need them. If you are traveling far from home and have a problem a garage can get the tire off, tube it and send you on your way.

Carrying a tube is a better plan than hoping you can find the correct tire some place you have a flat. I have tire irons and a 12 volt air pump, might not even need the garage.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                      X