GSXR fork Conversion ?? (1978 GS1000)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR fork Conversion ?? (1978 GS1000)

I have been doing some reading today about converting the forks on a 1978 GS1000. It seems that the upper steering bearing is the wrong size for the newer bikes....so some people have bought a custom size bearing from www.twfracing.com.

Instead of buying a custom bearing, is there another way to mount new forks on? Can you take a different type of Triple Trees and install new forks on them? I thought I remember seeing someone on a different forum do this--they took an early 90's triple tree and put newer forks in them. (they didn't have to buy custom bearings)

Are there any 100% bolt-on front ends for the 1978 GS1000? Do I have to buy the custom upper bearing? Can I mix-match forks and triples to make it a direct bolt-on?

Hi,
    I think you will find that the fork diameter is one of the more critical considerations in upgrading. Bigger diameter forks are the way to go and you triple trees limit you to the same size fork.

Most GSXR triple trees fit into older GS frames but will likely require some fiddling and measuring to ensure the correct size bearings. I think most can use the OEM bearings that go with the triple clamp but am not sure which is what sorry.

A few links in which fork upgrades discussions have recently occurred. Doubtless there is some good info to consider.

Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2010, 03:34 AM.

Comment

I've been doing some reading on this forum, but correct me if I'm wrong:

I can use the triple tree clamps from an ealry 90's GSXR (it doesn't matter if it's an 1100 or 750). Then I will need longer fork tubes: 91-94 GSXR1100 fork tubes are close to right length.

^^if that statement is correct, then should I keep my 1994 GSXR750 triple trees that I already put on eBay:

If they will work, I will need to remove the ad ASAP before someone bids on them. Please let me know if those triple clamps are a direct bolt-on without buying custom bearings (I know I will need to weld in some steering stops on the bike).

Comment

Originally posted by srinne View Post
        I've been doing some reading on this forum, but correct me if I'm wrong:

I can use the triple tree clamps from an ealry 90's GSXR (it doesn't matter if it's an 1100 or 750). Then I will need longer fork tubes: 91-94 GSXR1100 fork tubes are close to right length.

^^if that statement is correct, then should I keep my 1994 GSXR750 triple trees that I already put on eBay:

If they will work, I will need to remove the ad ASAP before someone bids on them. Please let me know if those triple clamps are a direct bolt-on without buying custom bearings (I know I will need to weld in some steering stops on the bike).
        You are probably best to PM Posplayer of Salty-Monk to be sure. If I was you I'd pull the ad and assume the bearings fit. If they don't it shouldn't be a major to replace them.

Comment

The bearings are the same has the gs1000.
          Marc
          AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
          1978 GS1000C X2
          1978 GS1000E X2
          1979 GS1000S
          1979 gs1000
          1983 gs400e

Comment

longest forks are gsxr1100 1993 and up.
            Marc
            1978 GS1000C X2
            1978 GS1000E X2
            1979 GS1000S
            1979 gs1000
            1983 gs400e

Comment

Aren't the 1100 forks larger diameter? I know the upper triple on the 750 is 50mm and lower 54mm. I believe the 1100 is 54 top and bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                Aren't the 1100 forks larger diameter? I know the upper triple on the 750 is 50mm and lower 54mm. I believe the 1100 is 54 top and bottom.
                Maybe for the later GSXR inverted forks

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                  Maybe for the later GSXR inverted forks
                  Okay, I will pull the ad off of eBay tonight. Is there a website that I can use to verify what SqDancerLynn1 is saying....I want to be sure that the diameter of the gsxr750 triple trees match the diameter of the gsxr1100 forks.

Comment

start sweet talking about shipping

Comment

Hi Mr Srinne,
                      The outside diameter of the 1991 and up gsxr1100 fork is:52mm top portion and 56mm the rest.
                      The top yoke is 52mm and bottom yoke with stem is 56mm.
                      Hope this help,
                      marc
                      1978 GS1000C X2
                      1978 GS1000E X2
                      1979 GS1000S
                      1979 gs1000
                      1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
                        Hi Mr Srinne,
                        The outside diameter of the 1991 and up gsxr1100 fork is:52mm top portion and 56mm the rest.
                        The top yoke is 52mm and bottom yoke with stem is 56mm.
                        Hope this help,
                        marc
                        Thanks Marc, you have been more than helpful on my project and I truely appreciate it. It seems that the diameters are different on the GSXR750 triples compared to the forks on the GSXR1100. I will keep my eBay ad as listed and hope to find a complete front end of GSXR1100.

Thanks again,
                        Scott Rinne

Comment

You welcome,
                          marc
                          1978 GS1000C X2
                          1978 GS1000E X2
                          1979 GS1000S
                          1979 gs1000
                          1983 gs400e

Comment