Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 Forks

Calling all guru's

I pulled the forks out of my bike today to replace seals and oil, read into that that it was too wet to ride... I got as far as pulling the inner tube to find I need a special tool to hold the damper rod while I take the bolt out front the bottom of the outer tube. What I am asking can someone shed some light on what size hex head I need to hold damper rod in the bottom of the outer leg. I have already worked out I can double nut the top and bottom of some threaded rod to make the tool.

So any help would be greatly appreciated..
    Tas

Ok I went back a while and found this thread
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

So I am guessing 19mm is correct???
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2010, 12:34 AM.

Originally posted by taswegian View Post
    Calling all guru's

I pulled the forks out of my bike today to replace seals and oil, read into that that it was too wet to ride... I got as far as pulling the inner tube to find I need a special tool to hold the damper rod while I take the bolt out front the bottom of the outer tube. What I am asking can someone shed some light on what size hex head I need to hold damper rod in the bottom of the outer leg. I have already worked out I can double nut the top and bottom of some threaded rod to make the tool.

So any help would be greatly appreciated..
    Tas

Ok I went back a while and found this thread
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

So I am guessing 19mm is correct???
    I'm guessing so. I tried 18mm and they slipped. Haven't got around to going to the hardware store. Damn I'm lazy

Comment

Re: 19mm drive is the size I'm told, but there are several solutions. If you can get a peice of hardwood down there it will hold well enough. It doesnt take much if you have an impact wrench for the hex driver.

The GSXR 1100 RSU forks I have also had a damper rod but it is larger. I accedently found out that a peice of 3/4 copper tubing fit right in and would hold the rod.

Comment

Yes Pos it is 19mm. On the link BassCliff suggested reversing a sparkplug socket with works.. I now have the forks apart and will clean everything up during the week and try reassembling them next weekend..

Cheers
        Tas

Comment

Working...
        X