Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progressive install, little help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive install, little help please.

I am installing my progressive springs at the moment and i need some advice, please.
    I have a 1980 GS1000G.
    I have two sets of forks.
    One is the original set that came on the bike, to my knowledge they are original, these have adjustable preload via a screw.
    I have another set that i thought were off the same bike but the actual chrome tube is 10mm shorter, these have air adjust valves.
    The originals are 615mm
    The others are 595mm
    Does anyone see any major issues with me using the shorter tubes?
    The reasons is the original tubes are pitted badly, i dont mind getting them rechromed or buying new tubes later, but i would like to ride the bike before then.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

no prob as long as diameter is same.

Comment

steering may be a little quicker but thats about it.... go with whatever is good.

Comment

Since you'll be adjusting preload with spacers as part of the Progressive installation, you can adjust the ride height until you get the handling you want. You may give up (or recover) a some suspension travel, but that probably won't be significant. Anyhow, the forks with air valves are probably more like the stock for that bike, if not actually correct. The '80 1000g didn't have adjustable preload with the stock forks.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks everybody,
          I appreciate your help.
          Dogma, is your avatar from Bleach?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            The '80 1000g didn't have adjustable preload with the stock forks.
            They did in the UK - they are 4 position adjustable on the springs with no air valve.
            GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by waltfen View Post
              They did in the UK - they are 4 position adjustable on the springs with no air valve.
              That is what i have, and to add to the argument my mate was at the suzuki shop yesterday and met a guy from the UK who just imported a bike (from the UK), the same model as mine, that has the same colour and sticker scheme as mine. And i have never seen that before(even in pictures).
              I think i will use the preload caps, with the progressive springs and the shorter fork tubes, a 10w oil and we will see how it goes?
              I can always change it up.
              Anyone got any objections/opinions?
              It is an experiment.

Comment

Working...
              X