1978 GS750 Monoshock swingarm swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750 Monoshock swingarm swap

I'm looking into swapping the swingarm on my 78 GS750 with a monoshock unit and I’m trying to find out what swingarms are compatible with my bike. I've spent the last couple weeks searching and reading as many threads as I could about swingarm swaps. I know there are numerous threads on this and the information is probably right in front of my face, so feel free to direct me to any relevant threads. I'm not familiar with the interchangeability between years/models/sizes so it makes it difficult.

So I am looking for a simple monoshock swingarm to swap into my bike with little modifications aside from the obvious: shock mount, bushing diameter, etc. I would like a fairly simple and non-bulky swingarm. I'm not trying to make my bike look newer so I don't want it to look out of place. Also, this is solely for appearance, so performance is not a top concern. I would like to keep my stock wheel or possibly switch to spoke wheels. Not really interested in any of the newer mag wheels that I see in many of the conversions. An under/over brace and a little extra length would be great but not necessary.

So now that I sound very picky, if anyone can throw out some year/make/models swingarms that will swap into my bike, I can pick out one I like and do some further research on the swap itself. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by tukn20s View Post
    I'm looking into swapping the swingarm on my 78 GS750 with a monoshock unit and I’m trying to find out what swingarms are compatible with my bike. I've spent the last couple weeks searching and reading as many threads as I could about swingarm swaps. I know there are numerous threads on this and the information is probably right in front of my face, so feel free to direct me to any relevant threads. I'm not familiar with the interchangeability between years/models/sizes so it makes it difficult.

So I am looking for a simple monoshock swingarm to swap into my bike with little modifications aside from the obvious: shock mount, bushing diameter, etc. I would like a fairly simple and non-bulky swingarm. I'm not trying to make my bike look newer so I don't want it to look out of place. Also, this is solely for appearance, so performance is not a top concern. I would like to keep my stock wheel or possibly switch to spoke wheels. Not really interested in any of the newer mag wheels that I see in many of the conversions. An under/over brace and a little extra length would be great but not necessary.

So now that I sound very picky, if anyone can throw out some year/make/models swingarms that will swap into my bike, I can pick out one I like and do some further research on the swap itself. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

The bandit arms (e.g. 2002) are used for dual shock setups but if you leave it mono it would probably fit well. Of course it will give you a performance upgrade. People also put in GSXR swingarms as well

I would say your choice should be largely dictated by what kind of shock you think you can get your hands on.

Comment

Maybe PM "Tone" for a reco

Comment

See this link as well

Comment

That bandit arm looks like something I could work with. Do you know how that compares in length to the stock arm? Do you know what year GSXR arms will work?

What about katana swingarms? These seem to be readily available on ebay and I like the look of them.

I also like the arm on this bike but I'm not sure if its stock or a swap.

Comment

And another

Comment

That last one looks like the swinger off a Kawasaki 1200
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well at this point in time it’s looking like the bandit swingarm. I won't be doing the swap until winter, so in the meantime I will continue doing some research and maybe I will come across something else.

If anyone knows what year/model arms that will fit, please feel free to post the info so I can expand my options (i.e. bandit, gsxr, katana, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr
                  This might give you some ideas.......................

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...81&postcount=4

I was just looking at that the other day. That is an awesome bike!

Comment

Working...
                  X