Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finished caliper rebuild, but is it safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished caliper rebuild, but is it safe?

Using the tutorial on Cliff's page along with other advice found in GSR, I rebuilt the calipers on my 1980 GS1000G. I bought new OEM pistons, seals, dust guards and boots. I also put in new pads. Last night I put it all back together and bled the brake lines while adding fresh brake fluid. I tied up the brake lever over night.

this morning I took it slowly around the block a few times and it seems to be working. the brake feel is not as firm as I want and I know that the master and ss brake lines are net to be done. But I want to ride without fear that something I did wrong is going to cause the calipers to suddenly seize on my while going down the highway. Is there something I should be looking for or listening for to know if I screwed something up? This is my first time and it seemed to go smoothly but i don't want to learn the hard way.

Thanks in advance.

PS - If any Canadians know a ss brake line distributor who makes them pre-mesured and cut, please share.

Ameribec

Good

I expect you did just fine and all is well. One thing that you might do is check for air in the line again today. Oftentimes, it's difficult to get it all out on the first time around and sitting over night will usually make it a little easier to evacuate since the miniscule bubbles tend to pool together after a period of time.
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 07-22-2010, 11:39 AM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by Ameribec View Post
      Using the tutorial on Cliff's page along with other advice found in GSR, I rebuilt the calipers on my 1980 GS1000G. I bought new OEM pistons, seals, dust guards and boots. I also put in new pads. Last night I put it all back together and bled the brake lines while adding fresh brake fluid. I tied up the brake lever over night.

this morning I took it slowly around the block a few times and it seems to be working. the brake feel is not as firm as I want and I know that the master and ss brake lines are net to be done. But I want to ride without fear that something I did wrong is going to cause the calipers to suddenly seize on my while going down the highway. Is there something I should be looking for or listening for to know if I screwed something up? This is my first time and it seemed to go smoothly but i don't want to learn the hard way.

Thanks in advance.

PS - If any Canadians know a ss brake line distributor who makes them pre-mesured and cut, please share.

Ameribec
      Try Raymond Chan on eBay. Quick, inexpensive braided steel brake lines made to order. I used his site for item #190383723363.

Comment

Working...
      X