Had new front tire mounted, high pitch ringing ensues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had new front tire mounted, high pitch ringing ensues

I just recently had a new front tire mounted on my gs450 today. While driving it back from the alignment shop, I noticed a deafening ringing sound coming from the front tire. The first time I heard it I thought it was a siren going off in my town, that's how loud it was. This only happened after putting it into 3rd gear, or going over 15mph. The guy at the shop said he'd take a look at it, but I'm going to have to wait til Monday.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be? I'd like to see if I could remedy the situation over the weekend. I'm extremely afraid to drive it.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2010, 11:24 PM.

From the look of the photo you may have clearance issues tyre/mudguard.
    A high pitched noise suggests something is rubbing as the tyre grows with speed.
    If the tyre which has just gone on is a little taller profile you can sometimes get this problem.
    The mounts for the mudguard may be slotted which would let you lift it a little. Back off the four mounting bolts & see if it will lift away from the tyre.
    The shop should have picked this up when they refitted the wheel.

Comment

Is it a 90/90x18 front tyre? If not dont get too upset with the "dealer", not his fault he was born that way.

Comment

A motorcylcle alignment shop?

I'd say they put a tire on that rubs on yer fender. Or they put 150 psi in the tire...

Take the fender off and see what happens.

Comment

I had a speedo drive go south once that made an awful racket. Maybe they jostled things when remounting the wheel. Just another place to look.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I will agree with others: it sounds like a clearance concern.

The noise will not stop until you remove the contact, and the tire will wear very quickly wherever there is contact.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              I had a speedo drive go south once that made an awful racket. Maybe they jostled things when remounting the wheel. Just another place to look.
              Agreed -- sounds like they damaged the speedo drive.

Yet another reason to NEVER EVER EVER EVER let the monkeys at a shop touch your bike, especially a classic like yours.

Also, the front tire in that photo is WAY too big. If you put the same size tire on (or if that photo depicts the new tire), it very well might be rubbing the fender and/or the fender mounting bolts.

The shop monkeys should have looked up the correct size tire for your bike, but so few of those idiots ever bother to do things right. After all, they're not the ones who'll get killed, so why should they care? Lots of shops will sell you whatever they have lying around rather than installing the correct tire.

You'll find the best mechanic for your bike by looking in the mirror -- right there is the only person who truly cares whether you live or die, or whether your machine gets damaged.

Where are you? Perhaps there's another GS-er nearby who could drop by to take a look.
              Last edited by bwringer; 07-23-2010, 07:39 AM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thank you everyone for replying. I'll supply you with a little more info:

That photo in my sig was taken about a week before the tire was mounted. The tire on it was a 100/90-18. It came that way when I bought the bike. When I bought the new tire, I just looked at the size that was already on there. I have a feeling that it is the wrong size.

Today, when I shlowed my neighbor(a mechanic) the bike, the tire was out of air. He said it also looked like they put a new stem on it.

I knew I should have taken it to my local motorsports shop to have it done.

Would anyone happen to know what I should do in this situation? The guy that worked on it said he would look at it on Monday. Could this cause damage to my bike or even to my new tire? Also, the inner tire doesnt look flush against the rim like the back tire does.

Edit: Ill take a few pictures of the new tire on the rim tomorrow and post them here. Maybe someone with a keen eye could identify the problem.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Agreed -- sounds like they damaged the speedo drive.

Yet another reason to NEVER EVER EVER EVER let the monkeys at a shop touch your bike, especially a classic like yours.

Also, the front tire in that photo is WAY too big. If you put the same size tire on (or if that photo depicts the new tire), it very well might be rubbing the fender and/or the fender mounting bolts.

The shop monkeys should have looked up the correct size tire for your bike, but so few of those idiots ever bother to do things right. After all, they're not the ones who'll get killed, so why should they care? Lots of shops will sell you whatever they have lying around rather than installing the correct tire.

You'll find the best mechanic for your bike by looking in the mirror -- right there is the only person who truly cares whether you live or die, or whether your machine gets damaged.

Where are you? Perhaps there's another GS-er nearby who could drop by to take a look.
                I live in Dekalb, IL. Home of Northern Illinois University.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO9JfuXu2HA <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<VIDEO OF WALK AROUND
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

The problem has been solved. After the tire deflated, my neighbor and I pushed it back to his garage(which was extremely hard to do) and the tire came off the rim. Luckily, we got it back on. My neighbor sprayed some solution on the tire and found that the new valve system the monkey put on was put on wrong and was loose. That's what caused the tire to deflate.

As far as the ringing goes, you guys were right. There was a clearance problem with the fender. We took it off and it went away.

Does anybody think there's anyway I could get compensation from the grease monkey that jacked over my bike? I mean, his mistake could have put me in the hospital or even worse. I'm pretty ****ed off about it.

Comment

Just chalk it up to a learning experience. The tire is too big, just fix the clearance problem and you will be fine with that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X