Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MDI Shocks - Lowering the rear end question

Hi all:

The next phase of my fussing with this bike is to do some suspension work. After some searching here in the archives, I think I've come to realise two things:
    1) The stock GS suspension was maybe a tad soft to start with, and has not improved with 27 years under its belt; It was certainly not designed for two-up riding (when that combined weight is approaching 400 lbs).
    2) Some have suggested MDI as a low-cost and reasonable aftermarket alternative. Stock length for the 1100 is 13.2", but they have a shorter model as well.

So here is the question: MDI are also showing an 11" model and advertise it as an alternative for lowering the back end 2.2" without going to a lowering kit. This would be a plus for me, since I have short legs. (And yes, I have already done the seat thing. It is quite a bit lower than stock). Are there other considerations I should be concerned about before I do this? Has anyone else here done this already? How much does it affect handling? I have heard it is a stiffer shock, which is not necessarily bad for performance handling, but if anyone knows of any red flags, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks,
    Rick

That's not a good idea. Lowering one end and not the other will effect handling , same with raising one and not the other. In your case you're talking about a two inch change. That would be nothing short of dangerous. I raised my rear by 1.25" (with 14.5 inch shocks) and the steering speed increased quite noticeably. Further more, a drop of two inches with your stock 17" wheel, loaded with your bags and a passenger would probably result int the wheel contacting the fender unless you sprung it so stiff it was painful. If you need A lower seat, get a Corbin, have your stock seat cut, or sell your ES and buy an L.

Comment

Thanks for the guidance. I'm always a bit leery of claims like that. If it was that easy and had no down-side, there would be more of them done, right?

Comment

You can probably get away with a half inch or so shorter... You could drop the fork legs through the trees by the same amount to maintain geometry then.

13.2" is slightly longer than stock I believe. Stock are 12.8" but most aftermarket replacements are 13". Ikon has a 12.8" shock.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
        X