i only have one caliper ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i only have one caliper ?

this might be a stupid q: but does the 1980 gs850gl only have one or does it suppost to have 2 calipers im stumped trying to find pads for them but i cant find the round pads??

'80 850 GL should have two calipers on the front using the rectangular pads. Round pads ended in '79, at least for the shafties.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

that is weird i only have 1 but the title says its a 1980 what the heck

Comment

is it possible that someone put the 1979 forks on the bike

Comment

Recheck the manufacture date on the headstock plate....a buddy of mine bought 2 '80 850s, one to do up and one parts bike. He ordered carb kits for a '80, and got the kits for BSs.....VMs were on the bike, so he checked the date stamp.....'79s.
          Previously, of course, I was all excited, as this would have been a good parts source for my '80. When I finally had a look at his bikes, it was obvious that a lot of parts were different, including brakes. Dang...

Comment

Titles are not infallible.

Look at the neck of the frame for the ID plate to see what it says. The serial number will be in the lower right corner and should have a model year designation after it. If the model year is N, it's a '79. If the model year is T, it's an '80.

You can also look in the upper right corner of the ID plate to see when the production date was. The '80 bikes might have started as early as 9/79 or so. This leads to occasional confusion as to whether the bike is a '79 or an '80, but the letter in the bottom right corner will determine that.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

here are some pics i fixing to go look give me a min and will be back

Comment

ok so i looked and the sticker is pulled apart so i cant read it so thats out of the q: but can i do a vin decoder and see that way

Comment

Not an '80 850 front end, that's for sure. The single caliper assy came off of something older. It may have been crashed and forks etc. replaced using an older model. You should have dual calipers.
                  On edit: You also say you have a GL, but GLs have leading axle forks. The forks you have came off of a G or other model without leading forks. I'd be willing to wager they've been replaced at some time for some reason, probably a crash in its past.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2010, 11:33 AM. Reason: second look at picture

Comment

well im glad i kinda know about the brake pads i see the 79 has the same as i need lol

Comment

now i just got to clear out the airbox breather line inside the box it seems to be clogged with something i just hope it doesnt mess anything up last thing i need also is there anyway i can put a air pod ont the box or a pods on the back of my carbs with out getting new jets

Comment

1979 has a kicker.
                        1980 does not.

Comment

Working...
                        X