Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Master Cylinder...are these the correct ports???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Master Cylinder...are these the correct ports???

I have been having some problems with my front brakes slowing building up pressure and hanging up. After doing some testing and researching on this website, I believe the master is the problem.

So I pulled off the master today and went through and cleaned everything I could get to (broken c-clip on the piston....not sure how i'm going to get it out yet). Anyways i'm not sure where this hole is that is prone to clogging. I posted a picture of my master. The hole on the left is clear. The hole on the right does not appear to go all the way through. It has the appearance of hole that is partly drilled. Is this the hole I an trying to find or is it elswhere?

That hole on the right is the one that gets plugged.

Yes, it appears to be drilled part-way through, but that's not the hole.

The hole is a very tiny little hole, it will take a single fine strand of copper wire to push through it to clear it out.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well at least I am on the right track.

I tried torch cleaning wires, a strand of copper wire, and everything else I could find. Couldn't get anything to go through. Any other suggestions

Comment

A chunk of wire out of a stiff wire brush will work. Copper would work too, but you need something stiff enough to push the clog out. I had to grab hold of the wire with a pair of pliers or something and work it back and forth until it punched through.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

It has to be a single strand of very fine wire.

I have two wires that I use. I think they are both 12 gauge wires, but one has about 15 strands, the other has about 30.

The one with the 15 strands I use to clean the holes in the carburetor jets, the wire with the 30 strands is used for cleaning master cylinder ports.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well I guess I will get back on it tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys!!!

Comment

Follow this link, or paste it into your search box, to find a thread talking about this. Have fun!
              Master cylinder cleaning tips and a minor mod to make it easier

Comment

Well I didn't have much success with this today either. I haven't tried the drill bit trick yet, but I have been spraying everything with brake cleaner hoping it will loosen the gunk up since I still can not get a wire through there.

Couple more questions. Will I be able to get the wire through without taking the piston out? Does anyone know the actual diameter of the hole? Where is a good place to get a rebuild kit? Also, is this something I need to worry about with the rear master?

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                X