Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To compliment my FZR600 front end...

(1981 GS750E, by the way)

...I do a YZF600 rear. Wheel matches and it's 5X17. I can finally run a 160 again...110/160 being my favorite combination, and something I think is perfect for the bike's wheelbase and power.

Anyway, I'm running Yamaha FZR600 forks, triples, brakes, wheel, etc up front...as I've discussed before, it's almost a straight bolt-on, with the only major thing needed is a 5mm shim under the lower bearing.

I have been running a 3.5X17 GS500 wheel in the back, but the 130 just isn't offering the traction and stability I want in a machine...it might be more because the tire is about as bald as can be, but I can't even change lanes without the bike getting fishy when it rolls across the lane divider paint. But, I digress...

The FZR has an 3.5X18 rear wheel. If you swap out the bearings for 20mm pieces instead of the 17mm ID it comes with you can run it in the 750, but you need the YZF600R caliper hanger, caliper, and axle spacers to make it work properly. You're still limited to, at most, a 150mm tire...and 18" wheels are getting scarce, which means that the good tires cost more.

I opted to do a YZF600R rear wheel instead. The bare minimum you need here are the wheel, YZF axle spacers, YZF caliper hanger, sprocket carrier, and cush. Clearance is TIGHT, though, and you WILL have to shave a lot of the caliper hanger off to get everything to fit. It's too tight for this swingarm, really.

So I widened mine by 1.25". It's a little wider than the stock YZF600R swingarm, but if I ever get to do the engine swap I want to do I'll end up needing a 6" rear wheel and more room.

What I did was cut the stock swingarm twice...first to separate the spars from the pivot, and second to split the spars. The first cut needs to be done by a professional. I have access to proper machines and measuring gadgets to get it done...but to keep the project simple YOU HAVE TO HAVE THAT FIRST CUT 100% TRUE! If your cut is even a few degrees off from parallel to the pivot, everything will get more complicated.

The second cut you can do with your eyes closed in the dark with a machete.

Have your machinist mark your center and mark where your limbs will be relocated to for the welder. In my case, everything got moved .75" off center. From here I tacked everything back together, then placed a few cuts along the parts of the spars that protruded so that it could be bent back in easily. With luck your gaps should be fairly small...unless you went WIDE...and you won't have much to reinforce. If you go any wider than I did you'll need to do a lot of reinforcing.

After I got it all tacked up I built a brace...very simple "U" with some flipped ends connected to the pivot by two legs. As some of you will undoubtedly be able to tell, that is EMT tubing I made the brace from. I feel that it's strong enough...however, this is my first jaunt at doing this and it took me six attempts to get the horseshoe right. Now I have a good jig and established measurements...I will be making another soon using iconel tubing. I may actually try my hand at doing the FULL swingarm.

Anyway...

Ignore the mess in the background.

My caliper hanger may bolt to the subframe, I think...it was an idea I had after I had it all together, but I really didn't design the subframe with it in mind and am unsure if it's up to the task.

Upper shock mounts will have to be extended by half an inch and the rear brake master will have to be relocated.

That's all I can think to say right now. I go to have that gap in the middle and the joints properly welded this weekend. Hopefully I'll have a carrier in this coming week and can install it next weekend.

Yay...just scored my rear axle. I might be able to have this thing up and going by late next week.

Comment

Yanno... Im running a 150/70-17 on a 3.5 wheel.. NO pinch.. coulda probably stuck that on your Kat rim.. But this works too

Comment

It's actually a GS500 rim I had...but still a 150 fits the 3.5. I wanted a 160 with the option to run a 170 later, though...plus this let me brush up on my swingarm skills. I've always loved single side swingarms...if I can get my welding back up to part I'll have half the swingarm back there.

Comment

Just a thought but for others without your tools/skill I would think it would be easier to fit a GS1100 Alloy swinger.
          You can get a 160 in easily & I believe a few people have done it on a 750. Not a straight bolt on like it is with the 1000.
          I think you have to slightly reduce the width at the pivot & use some special caps (like Top hats) to make the axle & bearings compatible at the pivot too...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yup the 1100 swingarm is a lot better option for those without the tools and ability to do something like this, and I've heard told that you can get up to a 180mm tire in it.

Comment

Should make a fairly simple front & rear swap on a 1000 or 1100 then...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yup. The YZF600R rear assembly will slip over a 20mm axle....with the clever use of some shims, you got it made.

What's the inner width of the 1000/1100 swingarm?

Comment

I don't have access to it now but I can measure prob later.....

The difficulty with a 180 tyre would be getting the chain to fit between the tyre edge & the frame & front sprocket offset. 170 would be easier.

180 might require some frame mods to create more room.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I wouldn't run a 180, personally. I had 128rwhp with my TL1000S on a 180 and could never get it to break loose within the realm of reason. I can't fathom bigger than a 160 on my GS750...

Comment

Installed it today. Thought I would have a lot of clearance issues between my master cylinder, then the muffler, and my swingarm...turns out if I hit enough of the bike with a hammer everything fits!

I was already running what I believe was a 1/4" spacer behind my front sprocket...I'm about 1/8" off with the YZF rear wheel...just enough for it to be making some noise...I'll put another shim behind it tomorrow and we'll probably be good. I'll post up all the new pics tomorrow.

Going back a few steps, though...I widened my swingarm because I had it and the means available to me. As said earlier, the later model boxed swingarms are a direct swap and would be easier to do...however, I do not know if the YZF wheel will work with that swingarm. I chose the YZF wheel for two primary reasons: the biggest being that I had it; the second being that no machining of the wheel was necessary. The YZF wheel would be the ideal candidate if the inner width of the later 1100 swingarm will accomidate it.

Comment

I can measure an 1100 swinger for you Mak, betwixt the forks you need? Or width at the hoop or what? I have one off the bike at the moment... And, incidentally, its for sale

Some of the guys have fit a late model GSXR wheel in there with little added difficulty, so im sure your wheel would fit.. But lemme know what you need for measurements, and I can get em for ya..
                        And its not the width of the swinger that causes the problem when using it on a 750...Its the pivot itself.. The 750s used a smaller dia pivot than the larger bikes.. So your options there are to make new bushes for the bearings on the swinger (OD for the swinger bearings, ID for the 750 pivot) or drill the frame bosses out to accept the larger pivot (which I did on my cafe 750).. The drilling is a little hair raising, as if you F it up...you're SCREWED...

TCK
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2010, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Yeah I would like to know the inside width of the 1100 swingarm at the axle just to make a reference of it. Later YZF's had a 5.5" wheel, but even a 5" wheel on the bigger GS' would be acceptable. It's just information that might be worth knowing. The recent thread I saw using a newer GSXR wheel the guy had to make is own spacers and mill part of the sprocket surface and the inside of the carrier off, as well as sort out bearings...easy for some people, like building a widened swingarm was for me, but not so much for most.

Comment

A while back I ditched the stock wheel and slapped in a 1992 Suzuki GS500E rear wheel.

I didn't so much like the tire width, though...not enough meat on the ground. Plus, I just wanted a wider rear wheel...and I wanted something that matched the front wheel.

So I built this:

Widened 1.5" (give or take a few mm...). Trued it up and welded the thing solid...and yeah, I had that gap in the middle filled (my guy did a fantastic job...looks like it was always this way).

Comment

I had a YZF600R rear wheel so I based most of my build off of that.

I had a HUGE problem with sprockets...the YZF600R came with 47-tooth sprockets...plus or minus a few...and that just doesn't fly with the GS750. I ended up having to go to the Wera forum and someone happened to notice that WR250F sprockets had similar dimensions....SCORE! I had to take a WR250F sprocket and drill the bolt holes out to 10.5mm and it slipped right on!

A gentleman on yzf600r.com (nu600rider) hooked me up with a great deal on the carrier above as well as an axle, caliper, caliper carrier, all the spacers, cush, brembo master, brake line...even the brake pedal. In the end I was able to put this all together:

I should have got a good before pic because I put it all together backwards the first time.

Slipped that bad boy in there...

...then I had to pull it all back apart because I forgot to put the caps on the end of the swingarm pivot...then again because I forgot to put the bearings in there...argg.

Comment

Working...
                              X