Front Tire Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Tire Removal

So I removed the front tire to take down for changing. When I did, I found a couple of things that are making me question what I saw. First, in this parts diagram, what is the front of the tire and what's pointing to the bike?

The reason I ask is that I removed the axle bolt from the right side of the tire but the speedometer gear assembly was on the left side of the tire.

Secondly, I don't see this part below anywhere in the parts listing up above. It's not the cotter pin (missing anyway) so the closest thing I could think of is maybe something to hold the speedometer cable. Although it didn't have anything in it, would that be reasonable or is it extra junk?

Does this speedometer gear look okay as best as you can tell from the picture? Sorry for it but early morning here. It does look pretty dirty and black inside and I don't see anything obviously wrong but I'm not sure.

Thank you.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Not sure it makes any difference on most bikes, but the axle usually goes from left to right. (Directions area based on the rider sitting on the bike, so LEFT is clutch hand side, RIGHT is throttle hand side.) The front of the tire is at the left side of the picture.

The bracket you pictured is for the speedometer cable. Usually nice to have, as it holds the cable away from the spinning wheel.

That speedo drive is probably OK, but really deserves a good cleaning and re-greasing.
    You can unscrew the bushing at the outlet (the small hole on the side) and remove the part that drives the cable. There is a circlip that holds the large parts together, just remove that, take things apart, noting their relationship to one another, clean them put them together with some good grease (white lithium works well) and install all the fasteners.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The spindle (bolt) can slide in from either side so don't worry about that. On the parts diagram the front is to the left i.e. speedo drive sits on the left.

Plus you are correct about the 'what's this?' - it holds the speedo cable clear of the wheel.

Your speedo drive is probably ok - take it to bits and inspect the worm drive, clean, grease (loads) and reassemble.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
      X