Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace 83 GS750ESD rear shock?

Hello all,
    I'm having a great time on my 750ESD but I think the rear shock is toast. There's a pre-load adjuster with a big knob on it that's just below the seat on the left side of the bike (as you're sitting on it).
    There appears to be a little window just inside the knob and a hose that runs to the shock body. It looks like there should be hydraulic fluid inside the window but no matter which way I turn the knob or how much, nothing happens and the knob feels loose.
    The other adjuster, right next to this one, has 5 positions that click between each one as you're turning its adjustment wheel. It doesn't seem to do much either.
    In other words, I have to assume my rear shock is finished so it's amazing the bike handles as well as it does. It must be getting damped just by the big spring that surrounds the rear shock.
    So my question is: Is it difficult to replace the rear shock and any idea on what they cost in US dollars?

as always, thanks for any advice or ideas,
    baz

Salty Monk (Dan) installed a Ducati shock on his 750. You might want to check the archives on this subject since this topic comes up quite often.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Support rear wheel with wood block, remove the upper and lower bolts and it will come out the bottom. I have a Hagon on mine, they are around $450-475. There is a shock off of a Ducati model that will fit, i don't know what one it is, i'm sure someone who knows will chime in with the info...
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I swapped for the Hagon shock as well. Not cheap I suppose but certainly cheap compared to the competition. Can't say if it's as good or better than others but it certainly does very well on my bike. Ride is plush and stable.

It also did good to clean out and regrease all the bearings in the floating arm mechanism. Looks lovely eh? The optional hydraulic preload adjuster was just bolted on where the previous adjuster sat, not a perfect fit but a percectly servicable solution.

Comment

I have my original shock you can have cheap if you want it.... no spring. One thing to check is the adjuster collar is not seized at the shock end.
          Regardless 1-5 on preload adjuster is only about 3/4" of adjustment.

Ducati shock is the 900 shock. 330mm eye to eye. Easy fit but don't expect to be able to adjust it much after fitting, the damping adjuster is especially hard to get to.

works great on my bike though...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Works Performance Durasport with reservoir here. Not cheap but they are rebuildable.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              Works Performance Durasport with reservoir here. Not cheap but they are rebuildable.
              Do you run one of these Billy?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                Do you run one of these Billy?
                Yeah, it was one of the better deals I've come across. Someone here posted one in the Parts For Sale that had barely been used. I was the first to pull the trigger on the whopping $150 he wanted. I was surprised it lasted a whole afternoon around here with no takers.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  Yeah, it was one of the better deals I've come across. Someone here posted one in the Parts For Sale that had barely been used. I was the first to pull the trigger on the whopping $150 he wanted. I was surprised it lasted a whole afternoon around here with no takers.
                  DANG! What are they new?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    DANG! What are they new?
                    They are up to $659. I stole it.

Comment

Working...
                    X