GS 1150/Busa wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1150/Busa wheels

I'm interested in putting a Busa front wheel on the stock 1150 forks. As far as wheel bearings go, I need to know if an '08-'09 Busa axle is the same diameter of an 1150..15mm.? Has anyone done this before? I think I can get custom bearings made, but not sure. The reason I want to use Busa wheels is 'cause I can get them far cheaper than RC's or PM's.

If you search "axle diameters" you'll find lots of topics on this...including one of mine which specifically lists about 250 bikes and their axle diameters.

At any rate, no...the Hayabusa wheels are not a direct swap. The axles at both ends are much bigger than the GS, the rotors up front may not even clear the forks. You're looking beyond custom bearings to clear the gap...it would be better to have a sleeve machined.

Easiest swap is a GS500E front wheel. With the 1150 swingarm I think there's clearance to run a YZF600R wheel without any any issue.

Comment

Thanks for your reply...My intention is to use the 1150 axle, not a Busa one, so that I could still use the stock forks. I think I would need to know the diameter at the center of the axle, not the ends, unless the Busa axle is the same diameter it's entire length. The brake rotor may be the issue. I guess I'd have to know what the brake disc diameter is and also the width of the entire wheel from brake disc to brake disc to see if it is similar width wise to that of the 1150. I know the Busa rim is 3.5 in.and the 1150 is somewhere around 2.75 in. The Swingarm is nowhere near stock..it's an outlaw arm with a 7/8's diameter axle. This will take some investigating...

Comment

Originally posted by 1150 Jay View Post
        I'm interested in putting a Busa front wheel on the stock 1150 forks. As far as wheel bearings go, I need to know if an '08-'09 Busa axle is the same diameter of an 1150..15mm.? Has anyone done this before? I think I can get custom bearings made, but not sure. The reason I want to use Busa wheels is 'cause I can get them far cheaper than RC's or PM's.
        A busa axle is 20mm. It would be easier to just swap on a whole front fork. If you shop around you can find them really cheap, i know i have....
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Working...
        X