Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on 1986 GSXR1100 18" wheels

Sorry guys I did try a search but ....

I am looking for more ground clearance on an 84 1150 EF so I can lower and shift the pegs forward for comfortable leg posture (no cramp).

Looking at GSXR upgrades seem to lead to max 17" wheels but I have found a front and rear pair of 18" wheels (rear 4.00 x 18 & front 2.75 x 18) that look identical to the existing 16 & 17 inch rims.

My question is... do 18" radial tyres fit on 2.75 front and 4.00 rear rims?

False alarm.. Found the info elsewhere. Limited selection of tyres but they are available

Comment

Make sure they are 1100 rims Colin - the 750 front of that year is known to bend - often as the result of a tankslapper.... Not fun.
      On the plus side though - they're easy to straighten...

Comment

Thanks Greg. They are off an 1100 but I'm not sold yet due to the minimal tyre selection and considering whether an even wider rear (than150) would be better. The big plus is the extra ground clearance that allows me to drop my pegs a bit. What do you think about the performance difference between 150 rear and say a 160 or 170 (assuming a new swingarm for 170+).

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
          Thanks Greg. They are off an 1100 but I'm not sold yet due to the minimal tyre selection and considering whether an even wider rear (than150) would be better. The big plus is the extra ground clearance that allows me to drop my pegs a bit. What do you think about the performance difference between 150 rear and say a 160 or 170 (assuming a new swingarm for 170+).
          I think you would be limited to
          110/80-18 and 160/60-18 which are available in nice tires like the Dunlops and Avon

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/ti...afCatId=&mmyId=

unfortunately the 110/80-18 comes closest in the Avon

I've been running the Dunlop in a 170/16-18 on a 4.5x18" rear and the Avon on the front. The 88 1100 wheels are harder to find though

There is a big difference between my setup and the bias ply 83 ED wheels and tires. Not even close.

I dont like the road pilots, the profile is real flat on the rear even with a 160 on the 4x18" wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            I think you would be limited to
            110/80-18 and 160/60-18 which are available in nice tires like the Dunlops and Avon

unfortunately the 110/80-18 comes closest in the Avon

I've been running the Dunlop in a 170/16-18 on a 4.5x18" rear and the Avon on the front. The 88 1100 wheels are harder to find though

There is a big difference between my setup and the bias ply 83 ED wheels and tires. Not even close.

I dont like the road pilots, the profile is real flat on the rear even with a 160 on the 4x18" wheel.
            Thanks, thats the sort of in depth advice I need. I might just take the punt and run with them as the little bit of clearance gained (maybe 22mm at the pegs) will help with my plans to gain the desired extra 50mm leg height relative to the seat. I am going to add 30mm padding to the seat so that and lowering the pegs 20 to 25mm will pretty much do it and I won't lose any cornering clearance.

The alternative (using 17 inch wheels) was looking a bit onerous as It looked like I was going to have to either increase ride height by extending the frame height between the swinger and seat or by dropping the swingarm pivot (to gain the required chain clearance from the swinger) and alter the shock link to set the wheel lower.... Then drop the pegs 30 to 50 mm. Way too much work by comparrison.

Yup... thinking hard about going with with the 18" wheels off the 86GSXR1100.

just one more question ... do you think a 160 will fit on a 18x 4.0 wheel or will I be limited to the 150 factory fitted width?.

Thanks again
            Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Done deal on the 18" GSXR 1100 wheels.

Will pick the up on the way home from Masterton tomorrow

Comment

Thanks, thats the sort of in depth advice I need. I might just take the punt and run with them as the little bit of clearance gained (maybe 22mm at the pegs) will help with my plans to gain the desired extra 50mm leg height relative to the seat. I am going to add 30mm padding to the seat so that and lowering the pegs 20 to 25mm will pretty much do it and I won't lose any cornering clearance.

The alternative (using 17 inch wheels) was looking a bit onerous as It looked like I was going to have to either increase ride height by extending the frame height between the swinger and seat or by dropping the swingarm pivot (to gain the required chain clearance from the swinger) and alter the shock link to set the wheel lower.... Then drop the pegs 30 to 50 mm. Way too much work by comparrison.

Yup... thinking hard about going with with the 18" wheels off the 86GSXR1100.

just one more question ... do you think a 160 will fit on a 18x 4.0 wheel or will I be limited to the 150 factory fitted width?.

Thanks again
                This is what I would run

Here are some pics of the same wheels with the Michelin's; I don't recommend it as it seems to have a flat profile and is barely worn.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-08-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Cheers. 160 I am happy with.

I can get the following locally;

Pairs of Pirelli Diablo Strada and Metzler Roadtec Z6 in 110 80 18 and 160 60 18
                  a Bridgestone BT-016 160 60 18
                  a pair of Bridgestone BT 012SS 110 80 18 and 150 70 18
                  a pair of Pirelli Angel ST in 110 80 18 and 160 60 18

I think that will be enough options for me

Comment

Cheers. 160 I am happy with.

I can get the following locally;

Pairs of Pirelli Diablo Strada and Metzler Roadtec Z6 in 110 80 18 and 160 60 18
                    a Bridgestone BT-016 160 60 18
                    a pair of Bridgestone BT 012SS 110 80 18 and 150 70 18
                    a pair of Pirelli Angel ST in 110 80 18 and 160 60 18

I think that will be enough options for me
                    review of Angel ST

Pirelli introduces the company’s newest sport-touring tire, the Angel ST, with some unique and fun marketing.

Comment

Working...
                    X