Caliper Honing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper Honing

Wondering if anyone has honed brake calipers? I have them apart from 80 750E, they are not pitted but have some discoloration in the bore. I would like to salvage them if possible, pistons look really good.....

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
    Wondering if anyone has honed brake calipers? I have them apart from 80 750E, they are not pitted but have some discoloration in the bore. I would like to salvage them if possible, pistons look really good.....
    I take some 800 grit wet dry sand paper and clean the bores up use some wd-40 to keep it wet and then clean well.

used 1500-2000 grit on cam caps/saddles

I take the chromed pistons over to the buffing wheel with some Roche and get them real spiffy.

Don't let them fly across the room though.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      I take some 800 grit wet dry sand paper and clean the bores up use some wd-40 to keep it wet and then clean well.

used 1500-2000 grit on cam caps/saddles

I take the chromed pistons over to the buffing wheel with some Roche and get them real spiffy.

Don't let them fly across the room though.
      thanks Jim

I started to use 400 on them , I think they will be ok with new boots and seals. Just wondering if there were some kind of fancy hoing device.

Comment

thanks Jim

I started to use 400 on them , I think they will be ok with new boots and seals. Just wondering if there were some kind of fancy hoing device.
        Oh there certainly are fancy hoing devices!!!

Comment

thanks Jim

If you already hit it with 400, I would go back over them with something a little smoother

Comment

Mechanically speaking, the bores only need to be smooth enough for the pistons to slide freely. They don't need to be anywhere near polished. They can even have pits and gouges as long as the bore is mostly good. Just get all of the brake fluid residue out and test the piston action by hand. The pistons need to be smooth because they are a sealing surface. As long as the machining under the chrome is good, the pistons should be OK. The seal groove also needs to smooth over some contiguous surface around the OD (deepest part). Pits in the groove are permissible if they leave enough good material for the seal to, um, seal.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              Mechanically speaking, the bores only need to be smooth enough for the pistons to slide freely. They don't need to be anywhere near polished. They can even have pits and gouges as long as the bore is mostly good. Just get all of the brake fluid residue out and test the piston action by hand. The pistons need to be smooth because they are a sealing surface. As long as the machining under the chrome is good, the pistons should be OK. The seal groove also needs to smooth over some contiguous surface around the OD (deepest part). Pits in the groove are permissible if they leave enough good material for the seal to, um, seal.
              It is still a rubber seal running over metal, it needs to be pretty smooth . I would still go for nothing less than 800.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                It is still a rubber seal running over metal, it needs to be pretty smooth . I would still go for nothing less than 800.
                I'm not really following you here. The piston should be good from the manufacturer or as long as the chrome is intact in the sealing area. More polishing (without launching) won't hurt. The bore never interacts with the seal, so I guess that's not what you're referring to.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I'm not really following you here. The piston should be good from the manufacturer or as long as the chrome is intact in the sealing area. More polishing (without launching) won't hurt. The bore never interacts with the seal, so I guess that's not what you're referring to.
                  I undrstand, the piston actually floats in the bore. The seal acts as a seal and a spacer so really the condition of the bore is not as crucial as the condition of the piston. Worse case as long as there are no serious rust pitting in the bore, replacing the dust boots , seals and pistons should work.

Comment

Yea sorry, it is the static seal in the bore sliding against the polished piston.

Still no reason to rough up the bores.

I was having a Mojito ; it is Fiesta

Comment

Dogma is correct, smoothing the bore does nothing. Just make sure the groove area is clean and smooth. The pistons need to be smooth too. I don't polish but rather use a gray (fine) scotchbrite on the pistons if there is any crud.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Dogma is correct, smoothing the bore does nothing. Just make sure the groove area is clean and smooth. The pistons need to be smooth too. I don't polish but rather use a gray (fine) scotchbrite on the pistons if there is any crud.
                        Ed,
                        You should try buffing the chrome, it works real well on fork stanchions as well. And from what I have heard the more polished the surface is the less likely rust is to form.
                        Jim

Comment

I thought nothing rusts in California.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                            I thought nothing rusts in California.
                            It surely does at the Beach , we got this big thing called the Pacific.... it is pretty salty

Comment

Working...
                            X