Where to get best deals on Suspenion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get best deals on Suspenion

Where do I go for a good set of rear shocks and possibly a new set of fork springs??

What amount of money do I need to be squirreling away for this?

This is the last of the modifications that I have left. Just trying to budget for it.

Thanks,

Jim
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

Shop around the usual suspects for Progressive brand fork springs at around $70-80 for the 1100G. Bwringer has found another brand he prefers that I can't remember the name of. The spring rate is higher, for heavier rider / more aggressive riding.

Rear shocks are a matter of now much you want to spend. $80-90 for MDI from almost anywhere (though not always by that name) are the first step up from stock, worn out or not. They have the reputation of being sprung a bit on the stiff side, but they will bring the rear end under control. I have them on my 1000G, and find them reasonably comfortable on the lowest preload. (~260lb rider, ATTGATT, side bags, rack and trunk.) From there ,you can go up over $1000 for shocks. Griffin did some research on shock options and posted a while back. That thread would be worth finding.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
      Where do I go for a good set of rear shocks and possibly a new set of fork springs??

What amount of money do I need to be squirreling away for this?

This is the last of the modifications that I have left. Just trying to budget for it.

Thanks,

Jim
      Without entering the stratosphere on price, the Ikons are an excellent rebound adjustable and rebuild able shock that Z1 carries at an excellent discount. You have to check on when they will have them in supply though but since you are not in a big hurry give them a call.

looks like they have eye to eye at the moment but all the E's are eye to clevis.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

I see you have a G so you should be good to go

progressive for comparision no damping adjust and not rebuildable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROGRESSIVE-SHOCKS-12-SERIES-13-DUCATI-HONDA-SUZUKI-/250669663486
      Last edited by posplayr; 08-06-2010, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Sonic straight rate fork springs are a better choice for many riders, especially if you are larger and/or faster than average.

Progressive fork springs work just fine for many people, too.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi,

From your "mega-welcome":

**********Quoted from Mr. Griffin**********
          For suspension upgrades, the front end is pretty simple: Progressive brand springs and fresh 15W fork oil. (http://www.mawonline.com has pretty good prices on Progressive products.)

(If you need extra heavy spring rate for your forks (for bigger riders or heavy loads) try Sonic Fork Springs. There's an online tool for calculating the proper spring rate according to your bike, weight, riding style, etc.)
          The rear end isn't so simple.
          Most of these brands are available in 'eye to eye' and 'eye to clevis' configurations, in different lengths for twin shock GS models. The options are arranged in order of price, low to high.

1. $65-$90 Emgo/MDI: Found all over ebay, and at about every vendor on the internet. General consensus of users seems to be that they are ok quality, but very stiffly sprung. Essentially the bare minimum option from stock. (For example, see: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/rear_shocks.htm)

2. $120 Redwing: Evidently no longer made, they are still available at www.loudfastugly.com (and omarsdtr.com). I've not been able to find anyone who's actually used them, but they appear to be of halfway decent quality.

3. $210-$230 Progressive 12 Series: Lots of information here and all over the web about them. Most people seem happy with them, several different spring weights available. Available at most online retailers. www.denniskirk.com is a vendor I have had great luck with over the years.

4. $218-$270 Hagon Type A: Seem very similar to Progressive 12 series as far as owner satisfaction, quality of construction, and price. Available in the USA at www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

5. $320-$400+ Ikon 76 Series: Generally pretty highly regarded, lots of options available. From what I've read on the internet, they do seem to be more highly regarded than Progressive. Can be found at http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront

6. $419-$589 Works Performance Steel Tracker: Very highly regarded, lots of positive reviews around the internet of Works Performance in general. Customer service (including rebuilding any brand of shock) is very highly rated. More info at http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

There are other options available that can be more expensive, including offerings from Works, Ikon, Ohlins. White Brothers, once a powerhouse in the motorcycle industry, has ceased operations.

***************End Quote********************

I don't think MAW has the best price on Progressive springs any more. Check Z1, Dennis Kirk, J.C. Whitney, all the usual suspects. You'll find an extensive vendor list in your "mega-welcome" too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X