Anti-dive useless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-dive useless?

1983 GS1100E-I was talking with the owner of my local Suzuki shop today-he's been a Suzuki fan for many years and owned the dealership for as long as I can remember. I inquired as to whether he could replace my front brake lines with SS braided ones.He was adamant that the anti-dive units on the bike were "useless" and " a marketing gimmick to attempt to compete with other Japanese bikes of the era". He said the units don't work and hence no point spending the exta money for brake lines to connect them.

Q:Can anyone add to this?
    How do I disconnect the anti-dive units?

Thankyou for any input,

Dan

He is right, your frontend will perform just fine without them..you will need some form of block off plate. Its function is nothing to complicated, the brake line of the front brakes master cylinder leading to the caliper is connected by a hose to the antidive device. When the master cylinder's hydraulic line functions to brake the front wheel, it simultaneously operates the anti-dive device's plunger, which regulates and limits the flow of oil in the front fork. This reduces the compression of the front fork, which also reduces the extension of the rear shock absorber. Hence, the device serves to counteract the change in the motorcycle's attitude during braking, that is the theory anyway.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2010, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      He is right, your frontend will perform just fine without them..you will need some form of block off plate...
      It's actually better to just get some good forks. You can buy full FZR600 front ends for $100.

Comment

Simplest thing to do is disconnect them and find a bolt to plug the hole. Done.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I like mine .
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            I like mine .
            I left mine in place also

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Simplest thing to do is disconnect them and find a bolt to plug the hole. Done.
              Actually, THAT is the BEST thing to do.. I have recently found using a block off plate (and I think that maybe Bob found this out as well) can cause a bit of a harshness in the action of the fork if there is no relief cut in the plate to allow fluid to flow between to two ports.. or at least thats the theory.. With the antidive units in place, there is at least somewhere for that pressure to go.. And plugging the holes isnt absolutely necessary I dont believe, as there is no "through" hole on the brake side of things.. Course you dont want anything getting down in there either..

Having said this, I am going to disagree with your guy... I disabled my antidive for a while.. and didnt care for it after I did. Of course I dont much care for the antidive either, but it felt worse without it. If anything the antidive works, but its inconsistant. One thing that can help is removing the assembly and cleaning it, and the entire brake system thoroughly, and installing stainless lines. It beefs up lever feel, (which is the main complaint about the antidive, even from the articles of the day) and of course, the bike stops much better with less fade. Once clean, the AD system actually does a pretty good job honestly..

Comment

its all in your head Kawasaki kid...aka TKK

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Actually, THAT is the BEST thing to do.. I have recently found using a block off plate (and I think that maybe Bob found this out as well) can cause a bit of a harshness in the action of the fork if there is no relief cut in the plate to allow fluid to flow between to two ports.. or at least thats the theory.. With the antidive units in place, there is at least somewhere for that pressure to go.. And plugging the holes isnt absolutely necessary I dont believe, as there is no "through" hole on the brake side of things.. Course you dont want anything getting down in there either..

Having said this, I am going to disagree with your guy... I disabled my antidive for a while.. and didnt care for it after I did. Of course I dont much care for the antidive either, but it felt worse without it. If anything the antidive works, but its inconsistant. One thing that can help is removing the assembly and cleaning it, and the entire brake system thoroughly, and installing stainless lines. It beefs up lever feel, (which is the main complaint about the antidive, even from the articles of the day) and of course, the bike stops much better with less fade. Once clean, the AD system actually does a pretty good job honestly..
                  Agreed Josh, I have never gone without them but I did completely tear down the brake system and did a rebuild on the forks. At that time I also replaced the orings and seals in the plungers and added SS lines...brakes like a champ...

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    its all in your head Kawasaki kid...aka TKK
                    Not really... One good session of before and after/with-without on some tight heavy grade down hill "ess" turns will show you.. without the antidive installed, on the brakes, with the weight of the bike and you forward, the control becomes heavy and cumbersome.. With the antidive its moderately less so... Its not a GREAT system by any means.. Alot of the more modern designs were much better, and didnt rely on the brake system.. But, CLEAN and maintained, the system isnt as bad as its made out to be, and I will admit that I was on the "get rid of it" band wagon for a while there. Like any of the other systems on an older GS, it needs taken care of, refurbished or what have you...

Comment

I agree with Dave and Josh, my anti-dives work fine. It might be all in my head but it really does feel like there is a slightly noticeable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 1100E View Post
                        It might be all in my head but it really does feel like there is a slightly noticeable difference.
                        Probably in my head as well. I know it works when your not moving but what the h-e-ll good is that. Grab a little brake and start pumping the front forks. The more brake ya grab the stiffer the fork becomes. Ive tried to feel this action in a quick stop move but Im too distracted chasing a sliding front tire to notice. One thing I have noticed is braking over a rough road. If the forks are getting pounded Ill pump the brake lever which seems to stiffen them and suck up the bumps better. The MN road surface sux. Lot-O-bumps .
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

There is a noticeable effect by the anti dive. Just put your bike with the front wheel to a wall and pump the fork once without pulling the brake lever, once with the brake on. You will clearly notice the stiffening of the forks.

Only question is: can you live without it? Most answer I heard is: yes.

Comment

this is how i disabled my anti dive

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

This is a interesting thread.Tells me I probably did the right thing taking the PDF units off my Canadian spec 85 forks to the 83 legs.

Did it for the look but from whats being said here it seems to be a good thing to keep.

Comment

Working...
                              X