Anyone ever use gs500e wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever use gs500e wheels?

Hey quick question, I just picked up an 83 gs1100e and was wondering if anyone had ever used gs500e wheels for a conversion to 17" im thinking the front wont be worth the trouble, but what about the rears? I have a complete 89 gs500e with a broken cam chain, valves etc.

Well my setup is for sale...already prepped...but here's what you face:

You will need to source Bandit 400 front rotor to oppose your current GS500 rotor...that way you'll get your 310mm setup on both sides. Then you'll need to fabricate caliper hangers. With half a dozen flat washers from Home Depot you can slip the GS500 wheel in the GS1100E forks.

The front wheel is the best part of the swap. The rear wheel is lackluster, at best, for an 1100.

You will need to get a set of bearings for the earlier mag wheels and put them in your GS500E rear wheel...on top of that, you need to have a new bearing brace machined for the inside of the rear wheel. You'll also need to have the GS500E caliper hanger bored out to 20mm, then you can make the rest work by cutting your GS1100 shims down.

In the end you'll be stuck with a 3.5" wheel on the back...depending on what you want to do with the bike, that may be enough...but it limits you to 150mm tires and there's only a few made to fit the 3.5" without distortion.

A better option would be to do this:

YZF600R will fit right in the 1100 swingarm and it'll match the GS500E front wheel.

Comment

Can you mount a speedo cable to a gs500 front wheel?

Comment

You can mount the GS500 speedo drive. I did it just fine. I never had an opportunity to check it's accuracy, though, but it seemed pretty close.

Comment

Agemax has GS500 rims mounted from memory
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X