1983 GS750E rear tire fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750E rear tire fitment

I have a brand new Pirelli MT75 100/80/16 that I want to use on the front of my GS750E (originaL SIZE =100/90/16). However, I cannot find a matching rear MT75 (ORIGINAL SIZE=120/90/17). Any suggestions as to a compatible rear to use?

Any decent tire the correct size. Mixing brands is really not a big deal nowadays.

While you're at it, get the correct size tire for the front. Using the wrong size will screw up handling far more than mixing tire brands.

Pirelli's Sport Demons are an excellent choice, as are Avon RoadRiders.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Any decent tire the correct size. Mixing brands is really not a big deal nowadays.

While you're at it, get the correct size tire for the front. Using the wrong size will screw up handling far more than mixing tire brands.

Pirelli's Sport Demons are an excellent choice, as are Avon RoadRiders.
      Thanks for you Reply Brian

Is the difference between a 100/90 and a 100/80 significant as to handling? I have no experience in this matter. I just have this brand new still in the wrapper left from a formerly owned Buell Blast and would like to use it up.

Comment

Try it & see..

100 / 90 has a 90mm sidewall height. 100 / 80 has an 80mm sidewall height. That should be the only difference.

I have run different profile tyres & it seems fine but might depend on the bike/setup to a degree I guess.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I would suggest getting a matched set (I really like my Avon RoadRiders) of the correct sizes front and rear, and selling the one you have to cover a bit of the costs. Since it is still in the wrapper, the buyer can be certain it is brand new.

Comment

Thanks to all that replied. I took your advice and bought Avon RoadRunners in the correct size front and rear. This is the best forum for bikes on the 'net. You guys are great.

Comment

Awesome! You'll love the new rubber.

The lower profile front would require a wider rim, so the sides of the tire would pinch in on the narrower rim on your bike. This would lead to wonky handling. No, you wouldn't die right away or anything, but the bike would feel sort of funny, and not as enjoyable. Instead of being smooth and predictable side to side, the response of the tire would vary in odd ways depending on how far you're leaned over.

Just making sure -- did you buy Avon RoadRunners or RoadRiders? RoadRiders (AM26) are what you want -- they're a very modern, V-rated design. RoadRunners are a much older series of Avon tires, and not nearly as good as far as traction and handling. I'm not really sure RoadRunners are even still available, so I suspect you have a set of RoadRiders on the way.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
                I have a brand new Pirelli MT75 100/80/16 that I want to use on the front of my GS750E (originaL SIZE =100/90/16). However, I cannot find a matching rear MT75 (ORIGINAL SIZE=120/90/17). Any suggestions as to a compatible rear to use?
                The 80 profile is ok, actually a better ride, I found the 90 profile to be tall and flexy. I have consistently been running a 130 on the back, it is easier to find and fits without trouble.
                I will say that I like the 110 on the front rather the 100.

Comment

wonky - weird, whacked out, messed up, not working for no definable reason. Usually applied to technology.

source Urban Dictionary

keep it up, Brian

Comment

I ordered Avon Roadriders not Roadrunners. My typo

Comment

Working...
                    X