Quick 650G Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick 650G Question

I am at work right now, and didn't have time to check it this AM before leaving, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the thread is on the Rear Axle Nut on an 81 650G?

From what I can find on the interwebs, it looks like it should be an M16/16mm sized bolt, but I can't find the thread pitch.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks for your time,

I read once that the part number gave that info for bolts... think it applies for nuts?

I came up with part number NUT
    09141-1600, tell me if this is way off but if I read that right its saying 16 and 00 for length (makes sense for a nut to have 00 length)

Hmm... seems you already got the 16 part, how many threads do they offer in 16 for "normal"? The way I am I would buy whatever they have in the drawer and return the ones that dont fit later.

Looked on some bolt sites and seems it should either be 2.0 or 1.5... I would wager its the fine pitch as its meant to hold tight more than thread on fast, but again Im usually wrong so if I could I would just buy them both and return the other one later.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2010, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Got my Nut?

Hey Skateguy,
      Thanks for the reply, and I am of the same mind as you on the nuts. If they don't work, I'll take 'em back.

So I went to the local stealership and the only 16mm nut they had was a plated, non-castleated, and they only had one thread pitch. So I will find out tonight if it will work, I also picked up some other nuts I need for finishing up my licence plate mounting bracket.

Sheesh, nuts are getting pricey. $15 for one 16mm nut, and four 10mm nuts. The guy acted like I was doing him a disservice by even asking for a nut without a Honda part number.

Reminds me why I don't like dealing with the local stealership.

As long as the nuts are the right thread pitch, I should have my bike pretty much ready for safety inspection. I just need to figure out why my gauge lights have gone out on me. I think it should just be a loose connection, but I guess I'll see when I get into it tonight.

Comment

Aw nuts!

As it turns out, all of the nuts I picked up yesterday were the wrong thread pitch!

So off I went to the stealership to return them, then went and picked up some new ones elsewhere. Hopefully they will be the right ones, they had better be since the ones I have now were the only other options in town.

Oddly enough, since I just dumped my purchases in my pocket, I have caught myself with one hand in my pocket twiddling the big one around. A co-worker asked me what I was doing, which I calmly replied "Playing with my nuts, wanna see?"

The look on his face was priceless!

I of course then quickly pulled my hand out of my pocket and showed him my shiny new nuts.

Comment

Go figure... Sometimes they do seem to use the not normal thread pitch for the size. However the OEM nuts are not that expensive, is it just trying to save time on delivery?

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
            Go figure... Sometimes they do seem to use the not normal thread pitch for the size. However the OEM nuts are not that expensive, is it just trying to save time on delivery?
            Yes, I really don't like having to wait on nothing parts in the mail when I can support a local business.

The 10mm nuts I picked up are still wrong. I asked for 1.25 thread pitch, and according to my thread pitch gauge, he sold me 1.5's. However, the 16mm is correct, so today I am going to pick up the proper 10mm nuts, then I can finish making my licence plate bracket!

I was down in guelph on Saturday, and the fastener store I went to didn't even carry metric nuts in singles, they wanted me to buy a box of 100!
            No thanks, I only need 2.

BTW,
            Big update on my 650 thread coming soon!

Comment

Working...
            X