Advice on best tires and size for 81GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on best tires and size for 81GS1100

Pick up my new baby Sunday. She has her factory 30Y.O. tires. I've been having trouble with finding Tires in 3.50v19 front and 4.50v17 rear. I have not seen the bike up close yet, but from what I've researched online this should be the size. Correct? Just wondering what advice you can give. Thanks for any help.

Josh

Probably 100/90-19 and 130/90-17? It depends on your rim width, I'm not sure for that model.

What purpose will the bike be used for? Cornering, fast riding, high mileage, cheap cost?
    I prefer Avon Roadriders, AM 26. I like to corner hard, they are good for that. Others will have different opinions, there are many other good tires.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Motorcycle tires are no longer made with those size designations.

What you will be looking for are 100/90-19 for the front and 130/90-17 for the rear.

The brand you choose is highly personal, it depends on your riding style and other preferences.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

x2, both tkent02 and Steve are exactly right.

I have Avon Roadriders in these sizes on both of my 1100E's and love 'em

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies. I ride different ways. I practice with a drill team on Keyholes and tight gates, I ride the twisties at a fast rate, and I go on multi-state long runs.

Avon's ordered,
          Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2010, 11:44 PM.

Comment

agreed that Avon Roadriders in those sizes will be great, very round profile for a bias ply tire. Falls nicely into turns.

Comment

If the Avons don't work for you, try the Pirelli Sport Demons. We run them on our KZ1000P's and they hold great in the tight turns.

Comment

I just put on shinkos, front was 65 bucks rear 80 bucks. Rolls around the garage just fine but a little squeaky hehe!! After forks change-out we'll see.
                Highly recomended cheap tire on here and sport-touring.net!

I'm slow in the corners, not much faster in the straights but that'll change.

Comment

Originally posted by hillntx View Post
                  If the Avons don't work for you, try the Pirelli Sport Demons. We run them on our KZ1000P's and they hold great in the tight turns.
                  Pirelli's are very sticky they just wear out so fast. Once my rear tire got flat on center it was a bear to turn. They were the first tires i put on my ED, and after a 2000 miles 1000 of it on super slab getting to and back from a rally the rear was kinda toast. Plenty of rubber just center worn profile.

While Sport Demons are stickier than Avons, the Avon dont give any performance up as far as your typical GS is concerned. In fact where the demon is more nuetral the Avon falls into the corner faster.

Comment

I've found that the Avon RoadRiders are much more consistent start to finish.

They're the only tire (or should I say tyre?) I've found that pretty much feels and handles the same when worn.

The Shinkos sure are winning a lot of friends, too. I haven't tried a set on my GS yet, but I might give 'em a shot in the name of Science.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Finally bought my first pair of Avons. 2000 miles and I love'em.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        The Shinkos sure are winning a lot of friends, too. I haven't tried a set on my GS yet, but I might give 'em a shot in the name of Science.
                        They seem to be acquiring a lot of fans. My friend is on his 3rd pair on his 'Busa and loves them....he rides extremely hard, and gets off (no pun) on out-cornering street-racer squids on GSXRs, R-1s etc. who claim 'Busas don't handle....esp 'Busas on Shinkos! Don't know if the bias-ply tires are equally good, though the prices seem pretty attractive.
                        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I am glad to see that a lot of the GS riders in the know, equip thier bikes with Avon footware, I thought I was the only heathen savage that bought them.
                          Now here is the question, I have always had Avon RoadRunners on the rear, mainly because of the milage they gave me, but they handled fine as well, I have done lots of peg scratching with them on the G, but I do not see them any more, have'nt for a few years, have they been superceeded by another tyre, what is the difference in handling and milage between the RoadRunner and the RoadRider??
                          I have always run Metzler ME33 Lazer on the front.

Comment

Yep, Avon r.riders. Got a pair put on my 750 two weeks ago...great...

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              I do not see them any more, have'nt for a few years, have they been superceeded by another tyre, what is the difference in handling and milage between the RoadRunner and the RoadRider??
                              Roadrunners were OK, nothing special. Road Riders are clearly something special.

Much better handling, traction dry and wet, they last quite a while and seem to perform well until the are shot.
                              I don't know if they last as long, but they last a long time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X