Rebuilding front caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding front caliper

My front brakes wont release after while riding, causing me to have to crack the brake bleeder to release the pressure. I have searched and it is likely the return line clogged by chunks. I have flushed the system with new fluid until it ran clear. The return hole that is in question, is it the smaller of the two visible holes when the cover is off? The masters are square type all alum from an '82.
    Now, I have a spare front master cylinder that I am trying to take apart and clean/inspect/rebuild.
    I have taken the c-clip out, now there is what looks like a washer behind the c-clip that wont move and the piston wont come out. I have soaked it for a day in brake fluid, and still no-go. Is there a secret to removing that washer.

Thats a tough one, I just had the same thing happen and ended up replacing it with one I had lying around. The piston is obviously seized , you might try and soak the whole thing in PB blaster overnight and see if that frees it up.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      Thats a tough one, I just had the same thing happen and ended up replacing it with one I had lying around. The piston is obviously seized , you might try and soak the whole thing in PB blaster overnight and see if that frees it up.
      It moves in and out fine and pumps fluid out so I dont think it is seized. But, there was rust on the c-clip, I am thinking maybe the washer thing is rusted in I would use wd-40 or something but I read to only use brake fluid on these parts. I am kind of a brake system nub.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
        It moves in and out fine and pumps fluid out so I dont think it is seized. But, there was rust on the c-clip, I am thinking maybe the washer thing is rusted in I would use wd-40 or something but I read to only use brake fluid on these parts. I am kind of a brake system nub.
        You probably will want to rebuild the inside of it anyway so I would soak it and see if it breaks loose. PB works great.

Comment

Sounds like the washer is corroded in place. I have experienced the same problem and grabbed the plunger with some pliers and after pushing it in, quickly pull it out to jolt the washer loose. Might take a few attempts, or soaking in PB Blaster for a while, but eventually the washer and piston should pull free.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well, the washer moves a little now, but the plunger still won't pull out.
            I have never had one of these apart and havent seen an exploded view of it so I dont really know whats in there

Comment

Have a look here

This is the method that I found works well for removing a stubborn piston. Use an old brake lever so your good one does not become damaged. Soak in PB Blaster before trying it. I reversed the brake lever and hooked the piston, when you push on the lever it will force the piston out. Make sure to remove the C clip before trying to remove the piston.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2010, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Just try the usual things - penetrating oil, a blowtorch maybe and grab the end of the piston with a pair of molegrips and snatch it out. Most of them need this if they've been exposed to the weather - it'll come out with some brute force.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  Just try the usual things - penetrating oil, a blowtorch maybe and grab the end of the piston with a pair of molegrips and snatch it out. Most of them need this if they've been exposed to the weather - it'll come out with some brute force.
                  Yup tried brute force, no go.
                  I turned my attention to the master that is on the bike now, I would like to be able to go more than few blocks before it locks up. The little hole isnt so little on the 750's master though, I cant even get the tiniest pin through it its so small. Quite frustrating
                  I think i read that this happens more often in hot weather, and its been stinkin hot here lately.
                  Z1 doesnt list a master rebuild kit for the '82 1100ez either, funny they look identical.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                    ..., I cant even get the tiniest pin through it its so small. Quite frustrating. ...
                    That's why we suggest using a single strand of copper from about a 16- or 18-gauge wire.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      That's why we suggest using a single strand of copper from about a 16- or 18-gauge wire.

Ya, i was using a strand from spark plug wire, but the 1100 one, I could put a paper clip through it

Comment

Working...
                      X