Fork oil!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil!!

Thx for the help on fork seals. I ended up getting to used fork that don't leak from a 79' 850g. Should I change the oil first and are there tips or things I should know. Bikecliffs site covers it briefly in the seal change.
    So I 'm guessing I can just tip'em over, drain, refill and good to go. I may just do one since, they are the same. Thx again all.

Why would you even consider putting something "new" on there and NOT change the oil?

Unless you open them up and inspect the innards, I would replace them as a pair, not individually, but that's just me.

You can open the top and tip it to change the oil. That will also give you the opportunity to add the proper amount of oil and set it properly according to the book. I can't tell you what the numbers are, but the fork is supposed to be held vertical, spring removed and fully compressed, then measure the oil level to the top of the tube. That is kind of hard to do when it's mounted on the bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

Read the Progressive Fork Springs installation guide for more information about how I drained the old oil and measured the new.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
      X