Answers please on forks, fork springs, fork seals and brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Answers please on forks, fork springs, fork seals and brakes

Hi to all! I'll try to keep this as brief and concise as possible.

My seals are leaking clearly I'm going to replace them. While I was at it I might as well check the brakes and replace the pads and fluid and if I'm doing that I might as well replace the springs and upgrade those. Anyways I've been contemplating swaping front ends though for a few months and have been looking around the forums but havent really found any straight forward answers to swaping front ends on a 78 GS550(E). Whole point is to have better brakes, steering and comfort. So that would be my first question, which front end is able to swap onto the 78 GS550??

Heres comes the possible curve ball...my front end is raked slightly..my bike is hardtailed and litterally slammed to the ground..I can't get a oil pan under it to drain the motor oil, seriously barely over 3 inches from ground to bottom frame rail. Oh and I'd like to keep my front wheel if possible. So does this affect which (if any) front ends I come swap??

Second question, which fork springs are the best for the stock front end? I weight around 135-138lbs dunno if that matters or not.

Third, which brake pads are the best for the stock caliper?

Forth, which seals do you recomend for the stock front end?

Do all the necessary stock maintenance, oem fork seals, maybe upgrade to a set of Progressive springs while you have it apart, replace the old pads with new OEM pads, clean out the calipers, check and replace where needed the seals and dust boots, maybe some new brake lines. This stuff is much easier than swapping out an entire front end and will get you down the road much sooner, but then again it's up to you.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. And yes I've thought about just replacing with oem parts. I'm also planning a full Break down of the bike an upgrading to a 650 maybe 750 (of I can shoehorn it in there) during the winter while powder coating my frame. So the front end swap and added brake power is definately something I'm interested in if possible.

I will def be keeping your suggestion in mind though. I'd like to do either the maintainence or swap In the next few weeks so if anyone knows anything about the front end swap lemme know.

Comment

Can I jump in? I'm thinking of similar service this winter. The bike dives when braking (and shifting). I can't keep air in the tubes because the seals are worn and will not hold air. If I add the progressive springs, what would I do to eliminate putting air in? Is it possible? I've read over the info on the springs and there is mention of spacers. Are the spacers in lieu of air fittings? Help a brother out!

Comment

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
          I can't keep air in the tubes because the seals are worn and will not hold air. If I add the progressive springs, what would I do to eliminate putting air in?
          Once you install Progressive springs and get them tuned right, you should not need to put air in your forks any longer. You don't have to do anything; just don't put air in The spacers (usually fashioned from pvc pipe, with a washer between the springs and spacer) are there to take up any slack between the lengths of your springs and tubes, plus add pre-load.

I could write a lot more, but (as usual) BassCliff has already done a wonderful job. Check out his write-up here:

Read that first, then post if you have more questions.

Comment

I agree

Anything you find to swap onto your bike will have many of the same maintenance issues as your existing front end. I'd forget the fork air, use modern fork oil, maybe add progressive springs with preload spacers (PVC pipe or stacks of washers - this would help even the stock springs), rebuild the seals and brake, and switch to a one-piece braided steel brake line. You'll come out ahead financially and time-wise. I have the same bike and find the stock brake more than up to the task.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
              Anything you find to swap onto your bike will have many of the same maintenance issues as your existing front end. I'd forget the fork air, use modern fork oil, maybe add progressive springs with preload spacers (PVC pipe or stacks of washers - this would help even the stock springs), rebuild the seals and brake, and switch to a one-piece braided steel brake line. You'll come out ahead financially and time-wise. I have the same bike and find the stock brake more than up to the task.
              So you'd go with progeressive springs then, preload them, and run em with no air? In terms of brake pads and lines, what type of pad do you suggest? And where can I get a braded steel line? I don't want to make one and honestly don't have the time right now.

Also any suggestions on lifting the bike up to do this maintainence? Bo center stand and as stated earlier mine hugs the ground idk if I'd be able to get a Jack under it. Garage company has some lifts and I've got in pretty good with Larry and Spencer but I don't want to ask or impose on them to use their tools and equipment

Comment

Working...
              X