82 650GL Wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 650GL Wheel bearings

Hello, I got wheel bearings from the dealer, 3x part no: 08123-63027 and 1x 08143-63037.

When I got them I asked why the part numbers were different and why 3 and 1 instead of 2 and 2. I was told that it was indeed 3 and 1.

My question is the different bearing, which side of which tire does it go on? Thank you.

That dealer is a &%$#@ IDIOT and a CROOK!

Like all other GS shafties, the front takes two 6302 bearings and the rear takes two 6303.

They also did you a disservice by selling you OEM bearings (around $15 - $20 each) instead of generic industrial bearings for about $3 - $5 each.

The front takes two 6302 bearings
    Find all the bearings, bearing housings, v-belts, oil seals, collars you need and more including the 6302-2RS 6302-ZZ Radial Ball Bearing 15X42X13 at theBigBearingStore.com

The 6303 bearings in the rear:
    Find all the bearings, bearing housings, v-belts, oil seals, collars you need and more including the 6303-2RS 6303-ZZ Radial Ball Bearing 17X47X14 at theBigBearingStore.com

If you look at the fiche, the one 6303 you received goes on the left

They screwed up one digit in the part number for the one on the right, and they're trying to cover up their error by dishing out pure BULLCRAP. Mistakes like this happen, but trying to cover up their mistake in such a potentially dangerous way really frosts my Cheerios.

(And no, I have no idea why Suzuki uses different part numbers for the same bearing in many bikes, but that's a different issue...)
    Last edited by bwringer; 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

First off, thank you for getting an answer to me so fast, this is good news. I can just replace my bearings every time I change tires. The cost is low enough to offset my paranoia, these bearings are only 8k miles or so, but have been sitting in 1 spot for however many years.

So is the fiche incorrect? I have to admit that I got these before I found this forum and didnt know any better. Should I go back to the dealer and demand a replacement bearing to be shipped to me, or just cut my losses and buy a bearing from a machine shop to replace the one thats wrong?
      Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2010, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Perhaps he was looking at an L model instead of a GL model. The chain drive models use different bearings. If they shipped you a bad part, I'd take it back. If you look at the Suzuki part #'s, you'll see that the first 4 digits of the second half are the standard bearing part #'s. You can just order those in -2RS (e.g., 08123-63027 can be replaced with a 6302-2RS).

Comment

Originally posted by alnmike View Post
          I can just replace my bearings every time I change tires. The cost is low enough to offset my paranoia
          That is a funny statement. I think those things sometimes while I'm cruising down the street. Sometimes I visualize the swing arm breaking free. Then I conclude that the whole mess is crazy and that I should just enjoy the ride while I can and the thought goes away. I guess I'm nuts.

Comment

In 1982, there was G, GL, and an E model 650.

The 650G and GL are both shaft drive and use the same rear wheel bearings as every other GS shaftie -- two 6303.

The chain drive 650E also uses two 6303 bearings, plus a larger 6306 bearing in the sprocket hub. (In this case, the bearing number wasn't embedded in the part number, but the fiche gave bearing measurements, which I used to look up the bearing number.)

The fronts on every GS I've seen use two 6302.

The rear wheels and sprocket hubs on the larger chain drive bikes use bigger bearings -- make sure you look them up.

Replacing the wheel bearings with every tire change is massive overkill. Simply sitting for years won't harm these bearings in the least. They're industrial bearings that are rated for huge loads and high speeds, far beyond anything a motorcycle can dish out. Where they're made is not all that important. The cheap ones are fine.

The only thing that kills motorcycle wheel bearings is contamination (water and dirt enter through damaged seals) and incorrect installation (goober with a hammer whacks the inner race, leaves out the spacer, or damages the seal). If a bike has been sitting for years outside, you do sometimes get water entering the bearing on the exposed side.

Keep a complete new set of bearings on hand and check the old bearings carefully with every tire change. If you see seal damage or they feel a bit loose or rough, replace them. But there's certainly no need to install new ones with every tire change.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X