removing rear tire 82 gs650 gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing rear tire 82 gs650 gl

what all is required in removing rear tire from bike .. never pulled a tire with shaft drive before . can someone outline the process ?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2010, 10:44 AM.

1. Put bike on the centerstand, insert a 1/4" diameter round hardened steel object (such as screwdriver from tool kit or some such) in the locking hole of same.

2. Compress socks, lock swing arm in the up position (hole for this on the right hand side, corresponding hole in frame), remove shocks from top mounts.

3. Using a lever (such as a 2x4 w/ a fulcrum), lever the wheel up, remove lock from swing arm.

4. Remove disc brake caliper from mounts, suspend w/ wire.

5. Unscrew axle nut, tap out axle w/ a driving rod (hopefully not rusted in), keep track of order of spacers and washers.

6. Pull/lever wheel to the right, it will release from splines, and remove it.

7. remember to grease the splines prior to reassembly.

Comment

Removing rear wheel (shafties)

Put bike on centerstand. Remove shock absorber upper nuts. Remove and support rear brake caliper, brake hose bolt. Remove axle cotter pin. Remove axle nut. Carefully drive out axle. Try to remember where the spacers go. Removing the license plate might help. Pull wheel to side, away from differential, then back. While the rear wheel is off, check the condition of the drive splines in the wheel. Before reassembly, clean it and re-apply moly 60 lube.

Comment

thanks for the replies

removing the shock bolts will allow clearance of the exhaust
        .. I figured i would have to remove exhaust .. cool

Comment

thanks again

well I pulled the reat tire off the bike .. took about 15 minutes..thanks for the help..

Comment

Before you reinstall the wheel you should check the spline, you can not properly inspect it without taking it out.

It is in the middle of this picture, you have to remove the 3 plates holding it in with those 6 screws. However the plates bend up locking the screws, so tap them flat then take out the screws, then the plates slide out to the side a bit, then the spline comes out.

Here is the spline removed, actually in good shape for 31k miles but I sourced the "black" spline so swapped it anyways.

The moly lube I got was Honda Moly from the dealer, The regular grease I used back at 18k miles didnt really hold up to well so get the good stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X