forks away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forks away

I got my forks off, also bought new (used) ones. Drained the forks tonight, question..It says 251ml of oil or fill to within 1mm. I was wondering if 250 ml is ok, I have a feeling that filling to within 1mm is gonna be a heck of a time with the spring and all. Anyone ever do this. What is hydrolock?

Misread Basscliff site. I got it. But what is hydrolock?

Comment

Originally posted by duper850 View Post
      I got my forks off, also bought new (used) ones. Drained the forks tonight, question..It says 251ml of oil or fill to within 1mm. I was wondering if 250 ml is ok, I have a feeling that filling to within 1mm is gonna be a heck of a time with the spring and all. Anyone ever do this. What is hydrolock?
      Remove the spring, compress the fork all the way, fill both fork legs to the specified level, which is a distance measured from the top. Easiest is to overfull then suck it down with a tube which can be located the same distance from the top of both legs. The exact quantity doesn't matter, the volume of air above the oil needs to be the same on both legs for the forks to work smoothly. Replace the springs and top caps, install them on the bike and you are in business.

Hydrolock is when there is not enough space for all the fluid, it's too full. When the forks compress, it is the fluid which stops the travel. This would be bad.
      Last edited by tkent02; 08-19-2010, 11:12 PM.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thx that sounds easy.

Comment

Working...
        X