Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't turn fork when slowing down from high speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't turn fork when slowing down from high speeds?

Hello. I have a 1983 GS1100GL (Shaft Drive). My motorcycle just started having this issue. Just got it back from having the starter clutch replaced last week.... Now i was driving home doing about 65 and tried to turn the fork and it was completely locked up. So i slowed down and it stayed locked until I was completely stopped. Then I could force it to turn. After i did so i rode it around the parking lot and was able to turn just fine. So i hit a straightaway to test it at high speeds. Hit 65 and and it locked again. Obviously I can lean to make lane changes and turn but i can't turn my fork to the left or right at any speeds above about 30 and it locks completely at 65.....Anyone have any ideas? I am about a half hour from home and i know there is a grease fitting on the front end near the caliper. I plan to ride home and grease that. Anyone have any idea if that will help or is this something worse?

Originally posted by Kev View Post
    i know there is a grease fitting on the front end near the caliper. I plan to ride home and grease that.
    Don't grease that. Check your steering bearings.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Have you owned this bike very long ? Do you know what counter steering means ?
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Hello. I have a 1983 GS1100GL (Shaft Drive). My motorcycle just started having this issue. Just got it back from having the starter clutch replaced last week.... Now i was driving home doing about 65 and tried to turn the fork and it was completely locked up. So i slowed down and it stayed locked until I was completely stopped. Then I could force it to turn. After i did so i rode it around the parking lot and was able to turn just fine. So i hit a straightaway to test it at high speeds. Hit 65 and and it locked again. Obviously I can lean to make lane changes and turn but i can't turn my fork to the left or right at any speeds above about 30 and it locks completely at 65.....Anyone have any ideas? I am about a half hour from home and i know there is a grease fitting on the front end near the caliper. I plan to ride home and grease that. Anyone have any idea if that will help or is this something worse?

Can you place the bike on its center stand and with the front whell off the ground sweep lock to lock?

Listen and feel for any grinding or binding in the steering head.

Im not sure if its possible but the part of the steering lock that engages the front end may be slipping in and out of engagement.

you should be able to visullt inspect for this.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post

Wow that increase in resistance with speed make it look like he may not.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Don't grease that. Check your steering bearings.
            Where are they?
            Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
            Only owned this one four months but this is my third bike, second classic suzuki gs. I know what counter steering is as far as a technique....
            Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Can you place the bike on its center stand and with the front whell off the ground sweep lock to lock?

Listen and feel for any grinding or binding in the steering head.

Im not sure if its possible but the part of the steering lock that engages the front end may be slipping in and out of engagement.

you should be able to visullt inspect for this.
            No center stand on the 1100GL. Had one on my 425....Where/what is the steering head? How i would i visually inspect this?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

Wow that increase in resistance with speed make it look like he may not.
              I know how to ride a bike brother....

Comment

Where are they?

No center stand on the 1100GL. Had one on my 425....Where/what is the steering head? How i would i visually inspect this?
                The steering head is that big pipe welded onto the front of the frame, where everything that turns when you move the handlebars attaches to the bike. The bearings inside get ruined from lack of maintenance.

Sit on the bike, turn the handlebars side to side, all the way. Smooth as silk?
                Raise the front of the bike, maybe use the sidestand and a jackstand under the right side footpeg or frame or something?
                Maybe set the whole bike on a big milkbox or something?
                Grab the fork legs, move them up and down. Clunk, clunk?
                Or no movement at all?
                Same test, turn it side to side. Smooth and quiet?
                Or does it feel like there are notches it wants to fall into?
                Crunching, roughness, friction?

Now let the bars go to one side, remove your hands. The bars should hit the end and bounce a little bit, one time only?
                Last edited by tkent02; 08-22-2010, 11:51 PM.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Bad bearings...possibly dropped balls from a bad front end reassembly. I had this happen with an old Maxim...the upper race was bad and a couple of bearings dropped when I went to put the thing back together. It made a gap the steering stem could fall into and made it feel locked up except under hard, hard braking.

Try rolling just a couple miles per hour and grab a whole handful of the front brake...tell us if you hear a loud "thunk" from the front of the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    The steering head is that big pipe welded onto the front of the frame, where everything that turns when you move the handlebars attaches to the bike. The bearings inside get ruined from lack of maintenance.

1.Sit on the bike, turn the handlebars side to side, all the way. Smooth as silk?
                    Raise the front of the bike, maybe use the sidestand and a jackstand under the right side footpeg or frame or something?
                    Maybe set the whole bike on a big milkbox or something?
                    2.Grab the fork legs, move them up and down. Clunk, clunk?
                    Or no movement at all?
                    3.Same test, turn it side to side. Smooth and quiet?
                    Or does it feel like there are notches it wants to fall into?
                    Crunching, roughness, friction?

Now let the bars go to one side, remove your hands. The bars should hit the end and bounce a little bit, one time only?
                    1. Not smooth as silk. But manageable. I can turn okay at low speeds.
                    2. At a hotel right now, but I can tell you the legs go up and down. A little clunky for sure.
                    3. Not a lot of noise but definitely some friction/roughness.

Comment

Not smooth as silk = not safe to ride.

Comment

With syptoms like that, please DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE.

You say turning is not smooth as silk, but "manageable". This is just so wrong. If it's not smooth as silk, your steering head bearings need to be changed. The only time you should ride the bike before changing them is ONTO A TRAILER, then INTO THE WORK AREA.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                          Bad bearings...possibly dropped balls from a bad front end reassembly. I had this happen with an old Maxim...the upper race was bad and a couple of bearings dropped when I went to put the thing back together. It made a gap the steering stem could fall into and made it feel locked up except under hard, hard braking.

Try rolling just a couple miles per hour and grab a whole handful of the front brake...tell us if you hear a loud "thunk" from the front of the bike.
                          I'll have to give this a try in the morning. I'll let you guys know. Sorry for being so unprepared but i am working full time and im staying with a friend a little ways out of town this weekend to offer some support for some issues he's been having. I figured id take the bike to save gas since i'd be riding farther to work in the morning. It obviously disagrees... I really don't want to be wrenching again....just got it back. Obviously with the "countersteering" technique I can ride it this week but is it safe or is there a risk of front end parts failing (ie the wheel falling off )?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            With syptoms like that, please DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE.

You say turning is not smooth as silk, but "manageable". This is just so wrong. If it's not smooth as silk, your steering head bearings need to be changed. The only time you should ride the bike before changing them is ONTO A TRAILER, then INTO THE WORK AREA.

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                            Not smooth as silk = not safe to ride.
                            Loud and clear. She goes home tomorrow then. Thanks guys.

Comment

I'd also like to clarify that my first post was somewhat ignorant sounding. I want to point out that the problem was not so much that I could not turn my fork easily at high speeds (resistance). It was that there is a physical sensation of the steering locking up and I must come to a complete stop before it gets better. Generally just as resistance increases with an increase of speed, resistance decreases with a reduction of speed. The fork still will not turn in first gear doing 5mph. I must come to a stop and force it to turn. Hopefully this clears things up and hopefully i did not offend anyone who thought this was driver error/inexperience.

Comment

Working...
                              X