Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't turn fork when slowing down from high speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Depends how addicted to wheelies the previous owner was.....
    Maybe I have no balls but I could not imagine trying to pop a wheelie on that bike....
    Heres an update. I rode the bike up the road. I didn't feel anything different. I drove it back and forth from my work to a hotel all week. Bike felt fine. Steering was a little tight but it may be all in my head. I am taking her in for rear brake pads next week and I have asked my bike shop to check the steering when I do so. I'll let you guys know what happens. I appreciate everyone's help.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      They can last forever, or be ruined in a little while. It all depends on proper adjustment, keeping water out, lubrication.
      How do you keep em lubricated?

Comment

Originally posted by Kev View Post
        How do you keep em lubricated?
        You open them up and add the grease, then reassemble.

It does appear that yours need replacing...urgently.

It sounds like more than one bearing has been crunched or is missing, so you could land on a dead-missing spot at any time and that will affect the steering angle immediately, as well as cause a lot of friction that will affect your ability to turn the bars.

This is not good.

By far the best advice you can get on here or from any mechanic anywhere, is to park the bike until the problem is repaired.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

So I just got the bike back from my mechanic. I was paid out on brake pads and they just finally got in stock. I had him check the steering and ride the bike. He says it is in my head.... The problem has not resurfaced and i am starting to wonder if it was in my head all along. If I feel any signs of this issue again I will park the bike and replace the bearings. I am going to order them regardless so I have them. I appreciate everyone's help.
          -Kev

Comment

problems that magically disappear bother more than the problems that are constant.

If the bearings are not at fault, though I think changing them regardless is a great idea, then I would be thoroughly inspecting the front end for cables and other parts that could possibly interfere with steering.

Comment

I'm starting to thnk the op is sensing the forces rquired to countersteer which is higher than just trnng an unloaded wheel

Comment

Working...
              X