Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to lower 77 GS750 forks? Anyone know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lower 77 GS750 forks? Anyone know?

whats the easiest method...sliding them up the triple clamps then getting a riser for the top clamp to move them out of the way?

dont know the easiest method...

i bought the bike for 300 bucks none runnning...cleaned the carbs and shes alive...im in the process of sanding her down and lying base coats. chopped rear seat frame off and have a bobber style seat, removed front brakes..

figured lowering the front and rear with some rigid struts would give it more of a badass look.

please gimme some help, ive been a tech for about 15 years now so nothing seems new to me thanks everyone

For safety sake, slamming the front end will require some work to the back too... BUT... unless you can cut the stancheons and retain the retainer in the bottom, or cut the tops and rethread for the caps (good luck with that...) the only way to lower the front end is to push the forks up through the clamps... you can get it 1/2-3/4 " lower that way.. Be aware that steering will be effected..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      For safety sake, slamming the front end will require some work to the back too... BUT... unless you can cut the stancheons and retain the retainer in the bottom, or cut the tops and rethread for the caps (good luck with that...) the only way to lower the front end is to push the forks up through the clamps... you can get it 1/2-3/4 " lower that way.. Be aware that steering will be effected..
      Safety is not required, hence the lack of a front brake.

You have the proper tools for the job, a hacksaw.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i am lowering the back end, i mentions rigid struts in my post...ive ridden some loopsided bikes before...not the best ride haha

im an active biker, this is my 7th roadbike since i turned 18 lol im 24 now. but good looking out man!

im glad to see a big support group for the GS line...im used to newer sportbikes, and this is my first older (and cheapest) purchase.

its been fun so far, im trying to keep it from turning into a moneypit as i have other hobbies to tend too, but as for a point A to point B weekend and bikenight cruiser, this is it!

Comment

id like to create a build log, what section should i post it under?

Comment

i id like to cut off the top 1/2 inch then cut a secion of fork out and reweld the cap with threads back on, if i do this how much can i cut out of the tube?

Comment

Originally posted by cbbjoemama View Post
              i id like to cut off the top 1/2 inch then cut a secion of fork out and reweld the cap with threads back on, if i do this how much can i cut out of the tube?
              Cutting and re-welding the uppers are gonna be a pain in the ass. For ease, Id just go with either cutting and re-raking the steering stem a few degrees or getting a new set of tubes from Forks by Frank. On the 750 (which is what Im building) you can go another 3 to 5* and still still in the trail sweet spot. Its easy enough to cut and redo, just add a pair of stiffening gussets connecting the neck to the down and back bone tubes. 3/16 to 1/4" will be plenty thick enough.

Comment

Working...
              X