I'll sleep a little better knowing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll sleep a little better knowing..

My most loved Dunlop D404 tire of choice is made in Indosesia. Are they the same durability and quality standard of say 15 years ago ? I don't know. I do know much of this third world goods are absolute cheap garbage. At least all tires mfg have to conform to DOT standards. It kinda' really pi$$ed me off when I saw this the other day. I will have some extremly mixed thoughts from now on taking corners at "elevated" speeds (I ONLY do this practice chasing Skip and Jethro)

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
    At least all tires mfg have to conform to DOT standards.
    I guess that works ... if you are comfortable with the DOT standards.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I guess that works ... if you are comfortable with the DOT standards.

Better than "third world standards" (double )

Comment

sucks how all the stuff we used to love is now made elsewhere. i couldnt count the number of times i go for parts for cars/trucks/bikes and dont see the "MADE IN USA" anymore and half the time you cant get the parts you want that were made here.

Comment

If Dunlop is a reputable company, the tires will be made to their standard.
          As far as I know, they were never made in the USA, it is an Irish company I believe.
          In would trust Indonesian tire makers to be less drunk than Irish tire makers.
          Last edited by tkent02; 08-24-2010, 12:13 PM.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            If Dunlop is a reputable company, the tires will be made to their standard.
            As far as I know, they were never made in the USA, it is an Irish company I believe.
            In would trust Indonesian tire makers to be less drunk than Irish tire makers.
            Yeah but funny mushrooms grow all over the place there. Better do a burnout and see if it leaves a rainbow streak.

/\/\ac

Comment

Ha, Dunlop, funny, my Great grandmother's maiden name was Dunlop, related to the people who founded Dunlop. Theres some useless info for ya

Comment

The last set (last year) of Dunlop GT501s I bought the rear was actually made in the USA and the front in France. The previous set were both made in France. Evidently (a friend of my second cousin's wife's sister-in-law told me this ) when and where factory capacity suits them, Dunlop ships the molds to different factories. This might only apply to certain tires but I'm sure they'll be fine.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Avon RoadRiders are made in Merrie Olde England.

I think the Pirelli Sport Demons are made in Brazil.

Shinkos are made in South Korea.

All are excellent tires.

I tried a set of Dunlop 404s a few years ago. They were made in Japan (by Yokohama), but turned out to be short-lived and rather ill-tempered under my admittedly brutal testing regimen.

What does this prove? Not a damn thing, really. Buy good tires. It's not worth fussing over where they were made.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

"Russian parts, American parts, all made in Taiwan."

Comment

Rubber

If you take the train from Singapore through Malaysia and into southern Thailand, you pass by zillions of rubber tree plantations and observe lots of tire advertisements. (Motor car racing is HUGE in Malaysia and motorcycle racing seems to be even more popular.)

Indonesia is to the west and also to the south of Malaysia and has lots of rubber production, also. I've always assumed that both countries make lots and lots of tires; probably pretty good ones since so many of them are used for racing. Given a choice between a tire made in Indonesia and one made in the U.S., I believe I'd just as soon it was made in Indonesia...for a variety of reasons.

When I ride my bike, the only thing on it that was made in the U.S. is........me!
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Sadly, I was mistaken about Dunlops not having been made in the US. Just got this one home, it has Dunlops, they were made in the USA. They are cracking very badly with a date code of late 2006. I would take my chances on Indonesian tires any day.

By the way, I would love to have this engine in a comfy old GS frame.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Sadly, I was mistaken about Dunlops not having been made in the US. Just got this one home, it has Dunlops, they were made in the USA. They are cracking very badly with a date code of late 2006. I would take my chances on Indonesian tires any day.

By the way, I would love to have this engine in a comfy old GS frame.

That's just terrible. Better drop off that dangerous POS at my house before it's too late...
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Avon RoadRiders are made in Merrie Olde England.

I think the Pirelli Sport Demons are made in Brazil.

Shinkos are made in South Korea.

All are excellent tires.

I tried a set of Dunlop 404s a few years ago. They were made in Japan (by Yokohama), but turned out to be short-lived and rather ill-tempered under my admittedly brutal testing regimen.

What does this prove? Not a damn thing, really. Buy good tires. It's not worth fussing over where they were made.
                            I was extremly limited to tire selection on my '87 GSX-R, I ended up choosing Pirelli Sport Demons as well. Love them thus far.... we'll see in another 4 years how they still are rolling' to make a final opinion. I can tell you Pirelli motocross tires are garbage IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            X