where to buy brake pad shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to buy brake pad shims

I can't find where to get the metal shims that go between the piston and the brake pad for GS calipers. I have about three different calipers I'm rebuilding for late 70s - early 80s GS 750/1000. Any ideas where I can buy in UK?
    Secondly, are the shims really necessary? I can't see what they do - do they just protect the back of the pad and spread the pressure from the piston?
    Cheers
    Dom

they are anti squeel shims, available from any suzuki dealer. not strictly necessary, just coat the rear of the pads with copper grease, does the same trick
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

As Agemax says. Different shims for back and front - I've just checked Robinsons and they have the fronts, but at £5.11 each for: 59371-49000 SHIM PAD I think I'd wait until I found some secondhand or just use the copper stuff.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, I'll use the grease! The calipers are going on a bike which won't be doing a huge mileage anyway. All these bits are so expensive, it really adds up when you're rebuilding calipers with new parts.
        Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
        X