79 850, rear wheel part ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 850, rear wheel part ID

So I let a shop take off my rims to swap the tires. Now if I tighten up my rear wheel nuts the tire will not rotate freely. Everything seems to be in there and in the right place except for what is being identified as an "O-ring, driven joint" on the parts fiche, item #17. I can't seem to figure out exactly what it is, a rubber 0-ring doesn't seem like it would belong there. Can someone ID this for me and solve my riddle?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

OK, part #17, but on which fiche?

EDIT: OK, I found it on the Rear Wheel fiche.

I believe that o-ring goes over the driven flange on the wheel and helps seal crud out of the splines, but I don't have one open right now for inspection.

Last edited by Steve; 08-25-2010, 08:28 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Partshark , they're all the same, even the repair book shows it. Looks like a simple 0-ring, just seems weird to me that a rubber o-ring would be in there.
      Rob
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I had the same problem.
        Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

Comment

You replaced your final drive but did you ever figure out what the problem was?
          Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
          Rob

Comment

I would check and make sure they did not put one of the spacers in backwards Their is also a longer axel spacer that goes inside the wheel may have been left out
            Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Ya I keep looking at the diagram and looking at the bike, the diagram the bike but it all looks like it is there and the correct way. I took it all apart and put it together again but as soon as I go to wrench it tight the wheel binds and won't turn. I couldn't tell if they put the inner spacer in backwards or not, not sure if that would make a difference though. arrrrrrr......
              Rob

Comment

when I was installing my wheel, i started to tighten the nut and something in the diff. collapsed I could see it when it happen, i took it apart but could not see anything wrong. I had a parts bike, and used parts from it.

Comment

what is the tire size for 1979 gs850? can u help me

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by pafinest2525 View Post
                    what is the tire size for 1979 gs850? can u help me
                    The polite thing to do, since you have a totally different issue than the original poster, is to start your own new thread to ask your questions. That way you can get help specific to your issue and you won't be hijacking Mr. azr's thread.

The normal tire sizes for the 850 is 100/90-19 front and 130/90-17 rear, unless you have an "L" model, then you might have a 16" rear wheel.

(What's with all the hi-jacking today? Or am I just in a mood?)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X