cheap rear shocks? (1978 GS1000)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap rear shocks? (1978 GS1000)

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of a swingarm swap on my 1978 GS1000. I figure this would a be a good time to update the worn out shocks (and shock bushings). I looked on fleabay, and I found these two different shocks:

Price: $84.00 shipped to door

and

Price: $82.98 shipped to door

They seem to be priced very reasonable compared to other shocks. I did a search and found that most Ebay shocks ride very stiff, but would still be an upgrade to worn-out shocks. Does anyone have a first-hand testimonial for either of these shocks?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2010, 08:55 AM.

Yes, in my case, I had NO damping going on with 27 year olf OE, so ANY shocks made an improvement. I put a pair of MDI (black top pic). In Mex, it was beautiful, on the nicer roads. Hit some rough terrain and you are ALL over the place. THEY are stiffffff!

Comment

I also have the MDI's on my 650G. They are really stiff, but still a vast improvement over what I had. A few hundred miles and they will break in a little, but not much. One word of advice if you get them, do not use those cheapie plastic bushings. I used random shock bushings and sleeves off of a car. Just ground them down to fit.

Comment

I agree with "truth" on this. Put a set on my '79 KZ650 SR, for the price, great deal. I'm going to put a set of Progessives's on my '82 GS1100 this winter tho.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Does anyone have experience with the shocks in the second picture?

Comment

DO YOURSELF a favor. Order 2 or 4 depending on your bike.. Shock bushings part # 09319-10008 it will replace the junk that comes with those shocks. Just press them in...
            Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2010, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by srinne View Post
              Thanks guys!

Does anyone have experience with the shocks in the second picture?
              Judging by the hardware,same manufacturer.
              http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
              1978 GS1000C
              1979 GS1000E
              1980 GS1000E
              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Those shocks sell just about everywhere under various names including Emgo and MDI. I have them on a couple of my bikes and their performance is as described, very stiff. Mine actually handle pretty well if the surface is smooth, but when going over bumps and potholes keep a lot of your weight on the pegs if you don't want your spine compressed. Definitely worth their cost though.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                X