Master cylinder sticking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master cylinder sticking

My neighbors bike has a front master sticking. You can pull the piston back but it will not free up at all, even spaying some pbblaster on to it didn't help. It's one of those bikes that sits outside. Should i bother to try and rebuild it? I've always just replaced them....
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

I see a kit is only about $40. Looks like i'll be giving it a try...
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Disassemble it first to make sure the bore isn't pitted. If it is, the $40 rebuilt kit is wasted.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

This is time consuming, but may work: Gut the master cylinder, paying attention to the order and orientation of the piston, cup set and spring. The set will only function when in properly. Take the cap off the resv, and take the resv off if it is an older style. Find the two small holes (FEEDER AND RETURN) that allow fluid to pass from the resv into the master cyl body.

Clean the gunk out of these two passages with brake clean or compressed air. The feeder hole is about three times the diameter of the return hole. I have used a long (two inches) individual strand from a old throttle cable to dig through the gunk.

Reassemble and bleed. If all is right with the world, you'll have brakes again. If not, at least you know the master cyl is good and clean.

Yours in Sport,
        Jason B

Comment

Working...
        X