Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can 77 front rotor replace the rear rotor

EDIT: 1977 GS 750

Im running no front rotor and my rear one is shot because last owner was running metal to metal for months it looks like.

Just figured id ask if anyone knows off the top of their head if they have seen this done.

look like the front one is thicker, but then again the rear was was so worn down from metal to metal contact. I might have to sand my pads a mm, I cant get the pistons in any further without a C clamp, just using small channel lock.

any suggestions?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2010, 04:46 PM.

Originally posted by cbbjoemama View Post

any suggestions?
    Don't ride it.

If you want rotors I have a stack of them to sell.
    Last edited by tkent02; 08-27-2010, 05:02 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

they do not interchange

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Don't ride it.

If you want rotors I have a stack of them to sell.
        well im looking for a semi decent one that will fit the 77 GS750, can you help me?

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          they do not interchange
          thank you, do you mind me asking what is it that causes them not to be interchangable?

i had them sitting on each other and i noticed a slightly thicker front rotor and maybe a larger diameter

thanks all!

Comment

i swap them.
            i install one of the 2 thinner fronts on the rear for less unsprung weight.
            this leaves one on the front for less weight also.
            this only applies if you have dual front disk.
            i think a lot of the member here have stacks of GS rotors..
            very good interchange for the most part.
            always check diameter and offset and bolt pattern of course.

jomamma.
            i see your a couple hours away in Columbus..
            let me know if you need any GS stuff or if you have any problems or questions..
            i'm just out side of dayton.
            Last edited by blowerbike; 08-27-2010, 11:28 PM. Reason: jomamma

Comment

Terry is right. They are absolutely interchangeable. The offset is the same, diameter same, pattern the same. Thickness is negligibly different. These are, however, the ONLY GS this applies to.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                i swap them.
                i install one of the 2 thinner fronts on the rear for less unsprung weight.
                this leaves one on the front for less weight also.
                this only applies if you have dual front disk.
                i think a lot of the member here have stacks of GS rotors..
                very good interchange for the most part.
                always check diameter and offset and bolt pattern of course.

jomamma.
                i see your a couple hours away in Columbus..
                let me know if you need any GS stuff or if you have any problems or questions..
                i'm just out side of dayton.
                Hey thanks, Terry (thats your name correct?) Yeah id enjoy a ride to Dayton area when shes all done, im an avid cruiser but ive always been on newer sportbikes, I figured its time to make my dad proud and bring back something from his era. I could have done all this at his shop since he owns about every tool in the bible (he builds and races dirt oval latemodels and builds old british racecars) but, he helped me attain my automotive engineering degree, so I wanna show him what these hands can build with limited tools. If that makes sence?

Hes a BMW motorcycle fanatic, but I know he will enjoy this project. I just dont wanna get to deep into it, Id like to restore a 1000cc for him.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Terry is right. They are absolutely interchangeable. The offset is the same, diameter same, pattern the same. Thickness is negligibly different. These are, however, the ONLY GS this applies to.
                Well thats perfect then TCK! I just bought a micrometer set in case I had to grind down the pads a bit. Im winging it and doing no front rotor style for now until I can figure out how to make it a drum up front. I love the look a big open wheel. I just dont like the safety issue I run into without having a front brake. For now im just riding about a mile to the nearest bike night and the speed limit is only 35mph.

Thanks for the help again guys!

Comment

Working...
                X