Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to change shock on GS750ESD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard is it to change shock on GS750ESD?

Hello all,
    The shock on my 83 GS750ESD is toast. All the fluid's leaked out, I think. The underseat knob-reservoir unit is empty, ie: nothing in the reservoir and the knob turns freely in both directions. The pre-load (or I think it's the pre-load) adjuster still clicks into its 4 different positions. Right now it's suspended on the big spring that goes around the shock body.

Amazingly, I've located a very low mileage rear shock for this bike for $125 from a local parts shop and it's clean, no leaks, no damage.
    My question is: How hard is it to change the rear shock on this bike?
    Do I need any special tools?
    I guess I'm a middling home garage type tinkerer. I've changed twin-shocks, clutches, rebuilt carbs, done front and rear brakes.
    Or is it something I should leave in the hands of a shop?
    thanks,
    baz

Grab a manual from a download site and take a look at what is required, I ahve never taken mine off, it still works, but it is not somenting I would try without a little research.

Comment

I have one that works... (no spring as I've used it, but you or I can transfer your old spring across) that you can have for a lot cheaper than that!

It's pretty easy to get off, comes out the bottom. Make sure you have everything well supported (remember that the swingarm is basically free as soon as you remove those bolts).
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Getting it out is not that hard.It never is.Taken both mine out attached to the swing arm so I don't really know how with it on.Getting it back in was ....fiddly.The top spacers really like to fall out.Endup butting a small elastic band aroud them to keep them on.Having the linkage as close to straight to the shock seemed to help to.

Comment

Working...
        X