Suspension mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension mods?

I have a 1980 - GS-1000G, with original rear shocks. The bike has approx. 170,000 kms and the suspension is beating me up on rough roads. Has anyone had good results with aftermarket shocks, like Progressive or Koni? Also, has any one tried cartridge emulators for the front forks, if they even make them for something this old? I'd like to keep the bike looking as stock as possible to continue with my "Collector" status which gives great discounts on insurance here in British Columbia. Switching to more modern front forks might be possible if they look much like the originals. Any ideas??

I've got progressive fork spring and shocks on my bike. Makes a world of difference over the worn out stock units.

Comment

Originally posted by RonMoropito View Post
      I have a 1980 - GS-1000G, with original rear shocks. The bike has approx. 170,000 kms and the suspension is beating me up on rough roads. Has anyone had good results with aftermarket shocks, like Progressive or Koni? Also, has any one tried cartridge emulators for the front forks, if they even make them for something this old? I'd like to keep the bike looking as stock as possible to continue with my "Collector" status which gives great discounts on insurance here in British Columbia. Switching to more modern front forks might be possible if they look much like the originals. Any ideas??

welcome aboard. Cliff will be here in the morning for an official greeting. Please use the search function as most of those topics are addressed quite often.

Comment

I know KMs are more than miles... but still thats a lot of miles even after the conversion. Nice to know they keep on going like that.

I think the progressive upgrades is what most do as a base level, even buying some less used oems would be an improvement at those miles.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. RonMoropito,

There's a section in the "mega-welcome" that has suspension upgrade suggestions. Let's get started.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X