Wider tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wider tires?

1983 GS1100E. I'm planning to purchase some new tires soon. I'd like to go with a wider profile. Does anyone know how wide I can safely go? Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Thankyou....

I went with a 130 to replace the stock 120 rear, without any problems. I used Metzeler, Pirelli Sport Demons and now, Avon Road Riders....all great tires, no complaints. I wouldn't recommend a tire wider than 130 on the stock rim, although some 140s might clear the brake torque arm (the cross-section varies somewhat, according to brand) due to deformity in the profile, from seating it on a narrow rim. It's mostly about cosmetics...it's possible to drag pegs even with a 120 tire, with sufficient riding skill.
    '82 GS1100E

Comment

What Mysuzyq said.

A few folks will find a rear rim from later model GS1150 which can support a 140 or 150 rear with some fiddling.

Comment

I agree as well except thnk avons are best comprimise between performance and durability

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          I agree as well except thnk avons are best comprimise between performance and durability
          Yes, should have mentioned that....Avon RR gives the best bang for the buck.

Also worth mentioning....tires can be frightfully expensive here is Canada. I usually buy online from the U.S. and they work out much cheaper, with USPS shipping (avoid UPS like the plague though!)...having said that, I'm hearing good things about Pete's Superbike in Montreal....supposedly great prices, and quick shipping without the cross-border hassles. Not many bias-ply tires for our old-school bikes listed on the site, but he's usually able to supply any tire needed, if one calls in with a request, I'm told.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Don't disrespect the engineers…

Originally posted by ddeboer View Post
            1983 GS1100E. I'm planning to purchase some new tires soon. I'd like to go with a wider profile. Does anyone know how wide I can safely go? Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Thankyou....
            I have, but for a different bike. I found that the limiting factor is the rim width. Tires are molded for certain rim widths, if you squeeze a tire molded for a wider rim onto your narrow rim, the sides squeeze in, you loose that extra width and the tire rolls over in hard turns. Handling is worse than if you use a tire designed for your rim width.
            You'll have to go to the manufacturer's web site to find out just what tire will accommodate your rim width.
            After some reading, I see that my bike ('82-GS1100G) uses the same size tire, 130/90-17 Bias-ply. You just might get a 140/80-17 Bias-ply on, but you'll have to try. It looks like Bridgestone Battlax BT45V or Avon Roadrider or Avon Azaro are the best choices, you should do some reading.
            Bill
            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 09-04-2010, 05:12 PM. Reason: Not dead yet…
            1982 GS1100G- road bike
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine)
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Comment

Working...
            X