rear tire removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear tire removal

Probably no big deal but my rear axel appears to be in backwards from what I've seen. Not that strange when taking into account some other things the PO did, but want to make sure I can put it right. My bolt with the cotter is in the left side. My caliper support bolt just spins, I know it needs to come out cause that caliper will be hell to get on with out some wiggling. I can't believe the work I've done on this bike because of this sight.

Generally you want to be pushing forward on the wrench (against the stops) when tightening, so the nut should be on the right side

Comment

Also when the axle in in the correct way its easier as it supports the wheel then the first spacer while you sort out the calaper bracket and finally the last spacer.

Comment

The axle nut and cotter pin should be located on the left side of the rear wheel on the 850G as in your pic.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
          The axle nut and cotter pin should be located on the left side of the rear wheel on the 850G as in your pic.
          Sorry to disagree but been fitting 850 wheels since they where new and just some little back up here.....http://www.bikebandit.com/1980-suzuk...s850gt/o/m6122

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
            Sorry to disagree but been fitting 850 wheels since they where new and just some little back up here.....http://www.bikebandit.com/1980-suzuk...s850gt/o/m6122
            I do see the opposite setup in your link's parts diagram which I believe is in error, but the 1100G, 850G and 650G bikes that I've owned had the nut on the left. Also, if you reference the bike manuals you'll see it's on the left too. There really isn't any other way to install since the diameter of one end of the axle is wider and made for inserting where the pinch bolt holds it.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
              I do see the opposite setup in your link's parts diagram which I believe is in error, but the 1100G, 850G and 650G bikes that I've owned had the nut on the left. Also, if you reference the bike manuals you'll see it's on the left too. There really isn't any other way to install since the diameter of one end of the axle is wider and made for inserting where the pinch bolt holds it.
              Agree. The swingarm pinch bolt holds the axle in place, and the nut needs to be on the final drive side.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The reason I asked, I saw it on the (right) in BassCliffs site.

Comment

Hi,

In my Suzuki Shop Manual, figure 11-121 on page 11-39 shows the nut on the right side. My 850 has no pinch bolt like the larger bikes do.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi,

In my Suzuki Shop Manual, figure 11-121 on page 11-39 shows the nut on the right side. My 850 has no pinch bolt like the larger bikes do.

BassCliff
                    On your website, the '82 850G owner's manual pg 53, pic 4 and 5 show(a bit grainy) the axle nut on the left and pinch(holder) bolt on the right as I was trying to point out. This is the case with pinch bolts for the shaft drive 650G, 850G and 1100G. Not sure what shop manual you're looking at? Unless you're looking at a chain drive model which don't have pinch bolts and the axle nut on the right? There really is no way to put it in backwards if you look at the axle shape.

EDIT: I went back and looked at your rear tire removal tutorial w/pics of your bike and see your axle nut is on the right with no pinch bolt, so earlier models must be different?? ...and inferior??...just kidding, well partly! Your's a '79? All my G models have been '81 or later.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2010, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys.This is the reason I work on a bike now. I would have been confused by the pic and handed it over to a 80. an hour mech. (which I can't afford) and would have opted out long ago or let it set. The fact that I could ask my pretend brothers (as my daughter calls you guys) about this has me feeling safe and secure on my ride. Thanks again for clearing it all up. I re-installed the tire and axel last night and am now going down to finish up with good light.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, some models are different. On my little website, in addition to the '82 GS850G Owner's Manual, you will find a complete Suzuki Service Manual that covers all of the GS850G models. It contains supplements for all of the different year models and "L" models, '79-'82.

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X