Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs to gsxr ft/rr- cost/ worth it?

Hey all,
    I love my standard and I am considering the advantages and cost of putting gsxr front and rears setups on my 78gs750.

1st question to those who have done it; what was your total cost?
    2nd question; was it worth it? Did you notice the improvements?

Hi,
    Try to find an old sportbike for cheap.i modifeid my 100o with all the rolling gear of a gsxr1100 1991 bought for 500$ complete.And a 100 for an offset front sprocket+ chain + rear sprocket + maybe brake pads.
    I would say a conversion is usally around 500-1000? unless you already have the parts.
    And yes it worth every dollars.
    marc
    AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
    1978 GS1000C X2
    1978 GS1000E X2
    1979 GS1000S
    1979 gs1000
    1983 gs400e

Comment

I just completed my 83 GS1100 and I must say I LOVE it. The ride is much smoother and it handles better than I can ride. I Ebayed most of the stuff, but spent good money on the SuperSprox rear sprocket, DID gold race chain and front conversion sprocket.

Being able to run modern tires was what i wanted. I just mounted brand new Dunlop SSportmax Q2's and after getting them broke in this week, i hit the twisties today. PHENOMINAL grip and ease in handling.

I believe the bike could do a stoppy with all the new braking power as well.

I have about 7-800 bucks in mine. maybe more.
      Ken

Comment

Is it worth it…

That's a philosophical question. If you want to modify your bike, than it's a yes. If what you really want is a bike that's newer and better, than the answer is no.
        I know I like my '82 GS1100G for road riding and trips because it's the right tool for that, but it's the totally wrong tool for Track Days. So I looked for a newer, better sportbike for that use.
        Bill
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thanks for the comments.
          I'm a city road rider and probably will never make it to racing.
          I do like the idea of new radial rubber/ modern stance and better handling with this upgrade and it keeps the air cooled standard look which I greatly appreciate.
          My choice for modern equivalent would be the Ducati GT 1000/ Triumph Bonneville but I figure I can modify my the gs to achive a similar ride and feel/look for about total cost of 3000 including the bike cost. It will be no ducati but until Honda brings back the air cooled cb750, I'm kind of out luck.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2010, 09:43 AM.

Comment

A big part of the cost is what you do about the rear shock. You can spend as much on it as the rest of the parts for front and both wheels. If you work with a late model swingarm stock shocks for them are cheap. They may need a different spring rate for your bike.

You can probably pick up a complete fork and both wheels for $500-600. You'll probably spend another $100 on bits and pieces to make it work. If you do a new swingarm they can be had for $50 and a shock that or less. You can probably pick up a nice aftermarket shock for a GSX-R pretty cheap with patience.

It's absolutely worth it. The bike will become way more stable and stop far better.

Comment

Thanks.
              Last question to all then; is the 86-88 or the 91-95 upgrade better and why?
              Is one more difficult than the other for any reason?

Comment

Originally posted by nutsandbolts View Post
                Thanks.
                Last question to all then; is the 86-88 or the 91-95 upgrade better and why?
                Is one more difficult than the other for any reason?
                You can pretty much mix and match '88 and up 750 and '89 and up 750 and 1100 wheels, brakes, and forks. Rotor offset is the same for all those years. Go inverted, you'll always kick yourself for not doing it from the start. 1100 forks are probably the best since they are a bit longer than 750. I'm using a set of '95 GSX-R750 forks in a CBR954RR triple set. The 954 triple gains about 3/4" clearance vs the GSX-R triple. It works with the GSX-R front wheel from the years mentioned and inverted forks through '95. Reason, stiffness and just the fact that technology gets better every year. They are constantly tweaking things through a model run.

A couple of shots of mine.

The top triple can be seen in this one.

Out on some backroads.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2010, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Hey thanks for the pictures and comments. I do like the stance and appearance of the 95 gear. Yours looks great. New can and single sided setup works well.
                  Question for you- can that triple clamp hold a standard set of risers for drag bars? I am looking to keep the upright riding position. What triple clamp would support standard bars and riser?
                  Alos, what guage setup did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by nutsandbolts View Post
                    Hey thanks for the pictures and comments. I do like the stance and appearance of the 95 gear. Yours looks great. New can and single sided setup works well.
                    Question for you- can that triple clamp hold a standard set of risers for drag bars? I am looking to keep the upright riding position. What triple clamp would support standard bars and riser?
                    Alos, what guage setup did you use?
                    Standard GSX-R triples could be drilled and tapped for risers. The 954 wouldn't work too well with them. If you go GSX-R triples then go 1100 so you have more clearance. The gauges are second generation GSX-R IIRC.

Comment

appreciate the info.

Comment

Working...
                      X