X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cdntere stand pivot 'lock'

1982 GS850GZ

I want to remove the rear wheel. Clymer says
    2. Install Phillips screwdriver shaft from tool kit into centerstand pivot (Figure 2) to prevent motorcycle from rolling off stand.

Figure 2 doesn't show anything that I can recognize as a screw driver blade or a place to put one.

BassCliff's web site has a photo taken from some Suzuki shop manual but it doesn't look like my bike.

I see no place on my bike to lock the center stand.

Does the 1982 GS850G have such a center stand lock? If so, where is it?

Thanks
    Last edited by themess; 09-05-2010, 10:31 PM.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

I think at some point during manufacturing suzuki stopped putting that centerstand lock on there. My 82 1100gl doesn't have it either. If you are concerned with the bike rolling off the stand you can use a tie down strap and strap the center stand to a fixed point on the front of the bike like the frame, front tire, or fork. In my case I use case guards.

Comment

3 ways to remove the wheels. 4 if ure game. One is the suzuki way. 2 is placing on centre stand and undoing both shockies and lifting the rear wheel assembly up so the axle exits over the exhaust pipes(or under the exhaust pipe that has the bolt removed from the bracket. Cant remember when they stopped using a little piece of metal stopping the wheel falling down too far.) and u place one shockie back on the bike and have a trusting friend hold the front brake on as he leans it over onto the right hand side as you remove the wheel down and to the left. The spacer in the rear drive will fall out but that dont matter and just place the bike back down. 3 is to place the bike with the rear wheel hanging over the edge of the gutter. Take axle out and drop the wheel straight down onto the road surface.. All this providing you have undone the brake stay bolt and all other bolts for the axle/brake hose. Shouldnt have to take the 2 brake stay/caliper bolts out if u have taken the brake stay bolt out. 4 is to do as #1 but have 1" blocks of wood under the centre stand to raise the rear of the bike in the air. All these are easy to do and answering ure main question you just have to zip-tie/rubberband/tape the front brake lever on to stop it rolling forward. See not hard lol
      Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'll use a tie-down.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
        X