Where to mount steering damper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to mount steering damper?

Taking my 78 GS1000 vintage racing which requires a steering a damper. Having trouble figuring out how to mount it as the tank covers much of the frame. Looking for frame bracket ideas and how best to attach it at the triple tree. Many thanks! Rick

i got a GS mount that bolts across the front of the frame brace. cant post a pic at the moment cuz photobucket is down. i will post a pic as soon as i can
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

here you go,
      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Agemax, you da man! That's awesome. I'm on it. Many thanks!
        Rick

Comment

front view.....
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Nice solution. Not see it done that way before. There are other ways if you search but that one seems really easy unless you are using an oil cooler.

Those Aluminium brackets for the fork leg are available on Ebay.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That is clever and gives me some more ideas, but I would rather not put the clamp below the lower triple as it limits the fork travel.

I have a fairing mount as the ED shares the same frame as the faired ESD. I was having some interference with my oil cooler mounting to the lower triple from the fairing mount.

Honestly have not really had any indication of a tank slapper so have been less motivated to put it on but is kinda cool anyway.

Comment

My forks would have room for that clamp without limiting fork travel....
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

i have never had a fork travel issue with that clamp on
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    i have never had a fork travel issue with that clamp on
                    You can see the tail of the tie strap right at the top of the travel. Most of that is from aggressive braking. I could recheck my sag but the front is pretty firm.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      My forks would have room for that clamp without limiting fork travel....
                      I know your skunk is using every bit of it's travel

Comment

Only with your ass on it.....

I don't think the skunk travels all the way up to the bridge even with no springs in.

The GSXR front end on my 750 doesn't but perhaps that has a travel limit kit in it. I know it's been played with as it's an ex race front end but never had them apart.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

This might be right on time for me. What are the symptoms that require such a fix? I've noticed on my gs1000 that if I'm stationary and I twist the steering back and forth rapidly that's it's like a musical saw or something. This seems to translate to a little wobble with high speed cornering. Is this something that would correct my problem or should I be looking at other causes?

Comment

Originally posted by apogeecustom View Post
                            This might be right on time for me. What are the symptoms that require such a fix? I've noticed on my gs1000 that if I'm stationary and I twist the steering back and forth rapidly that's it's like a musical saw or something. This seems to translate to a little wobble with high speed cornering. Is this something that would correct my problem or should I be looking at other causes?
                            sounds like you need to either adjust,grease or replace your steering head bearings
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                              sounds like you need to either adjust,grease or replace your steering head bearings
                              Thats what I thought at first, but its more like I can feel the kinetic energy through the forks themselves. I haven't taken the time to tear down the front end and inspect, but it passes the rattle test when its on the center stand. The forks are a little bouncy so I'm wondering if a lack of fork oil would have the same effect. Didn't mean to thread hijack, just wondering if the gs1000 is known for this behavior.

Comment

Working...
                              X