Proper inflation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper inflation

Can anyone suggest the proper inflation F & R on a GS1150 with Battlax bt45's? I am a moderatly aggressive rider if that makes a difference.

I run 34 psi front and 38 psi in the rear . If i'm doing a big trip or if Deb's with me , I bump them both up by 2 psi .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

There's no set pressure. It depends on bike weight, rider weight, road temperature, type of riding, and so on. What you want to see is a 10% increase in hot tire pressures vs cold tire pressures. If you don't see enough increase in pressure you're running too much air and the tires are not coming up to temperature. Too much increase and the tires are too soft and getting too hot. Either way traction isn't optimized and you're wearing out the tires sooner than you should.

Comment

Yep, follow the 10% rule as Billy Ricks mentioned.

Start with a number that sounds good, and record it so you can look it up. Go for a good ride, about 50 miles should work. Record your pressure as soon as you get back. See if you have your 10% increase. If not, adjust pressure as necessary on the next day, when the tires are cold, go for another ride.

Note that if you carry a passenger, pressures will be different, so you will have to repeat this with the additional weight of the passenger.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

The 10% rule works out to 32-F/36-R for me and my bike. It will probably be a little different for you and yours.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks to all. I started with the 34F & 38R. Rode hard for 40 miles. Seemed to have grown approximately 10% Only as certain as my gauge is accurate. Handled much better. Was using posted inflation on bike decal. Too low.

Comment

Working...
            X